Chapter Five

Adam's POV

        "Phoebe, wait!" I call after her, watching her run in the other direction. Furious, I turn on the nurse. "You're a horrible person."

        "Oh, she'll get over it." Mandy says, reaching for my jacket again. "Now, how about dinner tonight?"

        "How about you find someone else to go with you?" I snarl, pulling out of her grip. However, Mandy is resilient, and grabs me again. I shrug out of my jacket, and run after Phoebe.

        "Phoebe!" I call out, hitting the first floor. I see her walking quickly out the front door of the lobby, arms wrapped around herself. My Canada Hockey sweatshirt is covered in tear stains, the sleeves soaked already. 

        I catch up to her quickly, reaching for her arm. She jerks away from me, then turns to look who it is. "What do you want?" She says quietly, her voice shaking

        "Phoebe, I swear. I didn't want that." I say, nodding back towards the hospital. "She kissed me, but I didn't kiss back. You have to believe me."

        "I don't have to do anything, Adam. I don't have to believe you." Phoebe says, taking a step away from me. 

        "Then trust me."

        Phoebe stops, looks at me for a minute, then nods. "Alright. I trust you."

        I take a deep breath, then smile. "I promise. I didn't want that."

        "Promise is a special word to you, isn't it?" She asks, smiling softly, her teeth shining. 

        "You have no idea." I say, wrapping my arm around her shoulders. "Alright, let's get you home."

        As we're walking back to my car, I see Emily coming out of the hospital, Torey leaning on her. "Hey Torey! Emily!" I wave.

        "Hey, Adam!" Torey smiles, attempting to wave back.

        "Come meet some friends of mine." I whisper to Phoebe, my arm still around her as I lead her over to Emily and Torey.

        "What's up, Quaider?" Torey asks, leaning on Emily's shoulders. "Who's this?"        

        "This is Phoebe." I smile, looking down at her. She shyly waves, not looking either of them in the eyes.        

        "No way..the Phoebe?" Torey asks, looking at me with wide eyes.

        "The Phoebe?" Emily and Phoebe ask in unison, looking at me, then back at Torey. 

        I glare at Torey, and he bows his head, but that doesn't stop him from laughing. 

        "So, are you okay?" Emily asks, breaking the awkward silence, smiling at Phoebe.

        "Yeah! Thanks to you guys." Phoebe grins.

        "It's what we do. We get them out, you save them." Emily says, laughing. "Teamwork right here."

        "How about you? How's your head?" I ask Torey, who's still laughing.

        "Uh, I'm good. Little dizzy, but all good." He says, his head snapping back up.

        "So, what are you two?" Emily asks, looking between me and Phoebe. "Boyfriend and girlfriend?" 

        I put my head down, looking at Phoebe out of the corner of my eye. She's biting her lip, looking at my feet. 

        "Don't ask that." Torey whispers to Emily, watching us.