Chapter Twenty Three

Adam's POV

        I can barely see where I'm going. I dodge through chairs and people; it's almost running through a maze. 

        Finally, I grab Phoebe and pull her into me, holding her close. The brim of her hat digs into my shoulder, but I ignore the minor pain. 

        People behind us start clapping again, and I can see Emily and Torey watching us from the front of the room. I grin, then pick Phoebe up.

        "Hey, baby." I whisper, pressing my face into her shoulder. 

        Phoebe's legs wrap around my waist, and her fingers tangle in my hair. "Hi." She manages to choke out, starting to cry. 

        I put Phoebe back down, take her face in my hands, and press my lips against hers. Her arms go around my neck as she kisses me back.

        "Okay, lovebirds. That's enough!" Emily laughs, holding the microphone again. "Other people missed Phoebe, too, Adam!"

        I laugh, dropping my arms from Phoebe. 

        As soon as I step back, Phoebe is surrounded. Patrice gets to her first, hugging her tightly. 

        I step back, walking over to Torey. He pats my back, then goes down to get in line to see Phoebe. 

        "Surprise?" Emily asks, smiling at me. 

        "Is this what you were hiding from me all this time?" I ask, shoving my hands in my pockets. Carl is hugging Phoebe now, rubbing her back.

        Emily glares up at me. "I don't know what you're talking about."

        "Good to see you again, kiddo." I can hear Torey say to Phoebe as he gets his turn for a hug. 

        Phoebe breaks away from him, then walks up to where Emily and I are standing.

        "Good to see you again." Phoebe says politely, sticking out her hand. 

        Emily steps back, looking shocked and hurt. "Um...yeah. You too." She says slowly, holding up her hand.

        Phoebe starts smiling, holding up both arms. "I'm kidding. Give me a hug!"

        Emily just glares at her. Phoebe's smile droops, and it's her turn to look shocked. Torey and I stand behind them, our mouths dropping open at Emily's gesture. 

        Finally, Emily breaks out into a smile. "Missed you, liney." She yells, stepping into Phoebe's arms. 

        Torey and I both let out a huge sigh of relief. "That was close." Torey whispers.

        My POV

        "Wait, she seriously asked you if I was good in bed?" Adam asks, propping up on his elbow.

        "Yeah! She just came right out and asked like it was no big deal!" I laugh, rolling onto my back.

        I was finally home. After eight long weeks, and a long wedding reception, I was finally home. 

        Even in the dark, I can see the evil smirk creep across Adam's face. "What did you tell her?"

        I hold myself back from slapping him as I laugh. "I told her that you were a beast."

        "YES!" Adam cheers, throwing his arms up.

        "You're a dork." I groan, rolling over.