Chapter Thirty

Adam's POV

        I turn over in bed, throwing my arm to the spot where Phoebe usually is. When I hit nothing but mattress, I shoot up. My mind eases when I hear humming coming from the kitchen.

        I pull on a shirt and jeans, ruffling my hair as I walk out of the bedroom.

        I see Phoebe standing by the stove, the shirt I was wearing from last night covering her. Even with messy hair, and barely any clothes on, she looks pretty cute.

        I walk up behind her quietly, wrapping my arms around her waist. She jumps at my touch, nearly dropping the spatula in her hand.        

        "Morning." She mummers softly, flipping another piece of toast.

        "Morning, love. Sleep well?" I ask, kissing the top of her head. 

        Phoebe pushes the pan back, letting the toast rest on the back burner, then turns and faces me. "Fantastic. How about my favorite guy?"        

        I give Phoebe a quick kiss, then step back. "Not so great."

        Phoebe looks up at me, her smile fading. "Why?"

        I pause a moment, then sigh. "You're not ready to have this kid."

        "What?"

        "You told me you weren't ready. And here we are, getting ready to have a kid." I take another deep breath. "I feel like I'm forcing you into this."

        Phoebe walks back up to me, her arms going around my waist. "You didn't force me to do anything. I'm the one who told you not to use protection. This is on me."

        "But you're saying that you're not ready." 

        "I don't have a choice now." 

        I bite my lip, but say what's on my mind anyway. "We can always-"

        "Don't you dare say abortion." Phoebe snaps, pointing at me. "I am having this kid, and you're going to suffer!" 

        I laugh, kissing my beautiful fiancee. "Before or after the wedding?"

        Phoebe puts together our breakfast, then sits on the couch. "I'm not sure." 

        "When are we doing it?" I ask, sitting next to her. "We've been together for a while, and it's been three months since I proposed. We haven't had much time to talk about it."

        "Well, things happen. A lot has been going on." Phoebe mutters, putting her plate on the table. 

        I swallow another bite of toast, then put my plate on top of Phoebe's. "I know. We lose track of time." 

        "Seeing as you forgot we've been dating for a year, I think so!" Phoebe grins, giving me a quick kiss before walking to the bathroom.

        *****

        "Why the big smile?" Dougie asks as I walk into the locker room.

        I stand at my locker, shrugging off my jacket. "The original test was wrong."

        Several of my teammates glance over, their eyes wide. 

        "So.." Tuukka starts.

        "Phoebe's really pregnant?" His little goalie buddy, Niklas, finishes.

        I nod excitedly, the smile getting bigger. A few of the guys pat me on the back, heading to their own lockers.