Chapter Four

Adam's POV

        "PHOEBE!" I scream, watching the building begin to crumble. 

        A few firefighters race inside, Emily taking the lead. I watch them run up the stairs, before losing sight of them completely. 

        I wait anxiously by an empty ambulance, running my hands through my hair. Thoughts are flying like bullets through my mind, one right after another; each thought is worse than the last. 

        Finally, after what seems like hours, the firefighters come back, a limp body between them, hanging there. They quickly bring her over to the ambulance, and lay her on the stretcher.

        "Phoebe?" I ask, my voice weak. I look down at her, and tears form in my eyes.

        Phoebe's face is blackened with ash, covering even her eyelids. She's cold, despite just being trapped in a fire. Her hands are limp, and she's not responsive. 

        "Alright, let's go!" A medic yells, pulling the stretcher into the ambulance. I climb in after them, ignoring their protests. 

        "Unresponsive, BP 100 over 63, not breathing." The medic says, leaning over Phoebe's lifeless body.        

        "Smoke inhalation?" The driver asks, looking back at us. 

        "Probably." She replies, putting an oxygen mask over Phoebe's mouth. "Oxygen applied, non rebreather."        

        "ETA at hospital, five minutes." 

        "We don't have that time! Speed, damn it!" 

        "Come on, Phoebe." I whisper, reaching for her hand. "I can't lose you. Not again. I love you too much to lose you again."        

        Two minutes later, we pull into the hospital. A few ambulances are out front, all from the fire. "Let's go." The medic in back says, forcing me to let go of Phoebe's hand. 

        As soon as we're in the ER, Phoebe is taken away, off to be examined. I stand by the door alone, watching her go. 

         A few hours later.

         I must have fallen asleep in the ER waiting room, because the next thing I know, a hand is roughly shaking me. "Wake up, kid. Come on, up!"

        "Huh?" I sit up quickly, rubbing my eyes. "What's going on?"

        "Are you here for Phoebe Klatt?" The doctor asks, backing up.

        "Yeah." I say, awake instantly. "Why?"        

        "Thought you would want to see her." He says, smiling.

        "Is she okay?" I ask, following him towards the elevator.

        "Somehow, yes. Little bit of smoke inhalation, and some burns. But she's okay." The doctor says, looking over at me as we head to the third floor. "She's very lucky."

        I take a deep breath, filled with relief that she'll be okay. "She'll make a full recovery?"

        "She should be out by tomorrow." He says, leading me to her room. "In here. I'll leave you two alone."         

        I nod a thank you to him, and walk into Phoebe's room. She has an oxygen mask over her mouth, and a few bandages covering her arms. Other than that, she looks totally unharmed.