Chapter Twenty Nine

Adam's POV

        Phoebe hasn't been the same since the test came back negative. She told me that she wasn't ready to have a kid, but this has really hit her hard.

        "Babe, wake up." I whisper, gently shaking her shoulder. The lump moves a bit under the blanket, but doesn't get up. "Baby, come on."

        Phoebe rolls onto her back, throwing the blanket to the side. "What?"

        "You have to get ready for work." I pat her shoulder, then walk out of the room.

        The negative test has left a lot of tension on our relationship. We haven't mentioned a wedding in three weeks, and all Phoebe does is sleep and go to work. Three weeks since the negative test...three unbearable weeks.

        I get breakfast going, flipping eggs at the stove. As I move to get the bacon, I feel a pair of small arms wrap around my waist. I look over my shoulder to see Phoebe's face pressed into my back.

        "Hey there." I whisper, turning around. Phoebe doesn't say anything, just keeps her face against me. 

        I pick Phoebe up around the waist, hoisting her up on the counter. She looks down at me, her glazed eyes searching my face.

        "Why so quiet lately?" I ask, pushing a piece of hair behind her ear.

        Phoebe just shakes her head, pulling her lips into a thin line.        

        "Is this about the test?" I ask, getting a nod this time. I bring Phoebe's face down a bit, kissing her softly. "Stop worrying about it. We'll try again when you're ready.

        "But you were ready." Phoebe says, pulling back.

        I shake my head. "It's not just about me. We're in this relationship together. Through everything."

        Phoebe nods, managing a small smile.

        "Alright." I help her down from the counter. "Go get ready for work." I kiss her nose before spinning her and shoving her gently towards the bedroom.

        ************

        I lay down on the couch, throwing the last of the bills on the coffee table. I pull a blanket over me, and try to get some sleep for once.

        Short lived.

        My phone starts going off in my pocket. I lazily retrieve it.        

        "Hello?" I ask sleepily, not opening my eyes.

        "Um..Adam?" I hear Lynn ask on the other end.

        "Lynn? What's going on?" I ask, snapping awake. Lynn hasn't ever had to call me before.

        "I think you need to get to the hospital. Something's going on with Phoebe."        

        I tear off the couch, heading to the bedroom for new clothes. "What's wrong with her?!"

        "Just get down here!" There's some screaming, then a horrifying retching noise. "Hey! She's throwing up again!"

        Then Lynn is gone.

        ******

        I hit the hospital in no time, running around to the ER. 

        "Lynn!" I yell, seeing her head down the hall.

        "Adam!" She waves me back, grabbing my arm when I reach her. "Come on."

        I try to keep up, my feet almost dragging behind me. "Is Phoebe okay?"

        "For now." Lynn says, coming to a stop in front of a room at the end of the hall. "She's in here. Keep her calm. I don't think she could use any more excitement after this morning."

        Lynn walks away, leaving me alone in the quiet. I knock on the door before walking in.

        "Phoebe?" I whisper, seeing her laying in the bed. I assume she's asleep, but she stirs when I close the door.

        She looks over and smiles, for the first time in weeks. "Hey, baby."

        I hurry to the side of the bed, giving Phoebe a kiss on the forehead. "You okay?"

        Phoebe nods slowly, taking one of my hands and giving it a light squeeze. "I'm fine."

        "What happened this morning? Lynn was freaking out on the phone." 

        Before Phoebe can tell me anything, a nurse pops her head in the room. "Who are you?" She asks, pointing at me. 

        "I'm her fiance, Adam." I explain, keeping Phoebe's hand in mine tightly.

        "May I talk to you, out here?" She asks, opening the door.

        I look down at Phoebe, who gives me a quick nod and squeezes my hand. I let her go reluctantly, following the nurse out of the room.

        As soon as the door is shut behind me, the nurse starts talking. "Sir, earlier your fiancee came in here with major vomiting. It was pretty bad."

        "So, what's wrong with her?" I ask, crossing my arms.

        The nurse sighs. Apparently I'm not catching on to something. " Sir, is there a possibility that Phoebe is pregnant?"        

        "No. The test came back negative." I tell her quickly, looking back at the door to Phoebe's room.

        "How long ago?" She asks, her eyes narrowing.

        "Three weeks." 

        The nurse takes a sharp breath, then turns away. "I'll be back. Go back and be with Phoebe." Then she walks away.

        I stand there for a minute, confused. Then, shaking my head, I walk back into Phoebe's room.

        "What's wrong?" Phoebe asks, watching me walk over.        

        I shrug. "I have no clue. She asked me one question then hurried off."

        "Everything's going to be okay." Phoebe says, rolling her head to the side. Her eyes close, and she's soon relaxing comfortably.

        I pull over a chair and sit by the bed. One hand stays in hers, the other constantly strokes her falling hair from her face.        

        My POV

        "Phoebe? Baby, wake up." Adam mutters, shaking my shoulder.

        I slowly open my eyes, sunshine blinding me. "What?"

        He points to the door, and I see the same nurse from before standing there.

        "Is everything okay?" I ask, sitting up now.

        The nurse stands at the foot of the bed, a clipboard in one hand. "Ma'am, we looked over the urine samples and other tests we performed earlier."

        "And?" Adam asks, gripping my hand tighter.

        The nurse pauses, then smiles. "Congratulations. You two are going to be parents."

        A/N: So I originally wasn't going to post this chapter for a few more days. But I want to tell you guys about my new McQuaid fanic, "My Second Chance". I'm starting it soon, and I wanted to tell you about it. Go check it out! :)

We Still Saw the Same Sunsetजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें