Chapter Seventeen

Adam's POV

        "Is he going to be okay?" I hear a faint voice ask, a little strained. 

        "He should." Another voice answers. "I think that his teammate hitting him in the chest just bothered his heart. Probably just shocked him. He'll be fine."

        The first voice mutters something, breaking. Whoever it is sounds pretty upset.

        "See, Phoebe?" Yet another voice asks. "Adam doesn't go down easily."

        I slowly open my eyes, adjusting to the bright light. My eyes flick around the room, landing on a group of people by the door. I could easily pick out my teammates and girlfriend.

        "Phoebe?" I ask, my voice raspy.  

        The entire group turns, their eyes landing on me. 

        "Adam!" Phoebe whines, running over to me. She wraps her arms around me the best she can, laying her head on my chest. I hug her tightly, trying to stop her from shaking.

        "Hey, babe." I whisper, running my fingers through Phoebe's hair.

        "You need to stop scaring us like that, man." Torey says, walking up behind Phoebe. He just smiles and shakes his head, patting Phoebe's back.

        Phoebe stands up and takes a deep breath, getting control of herself. Patrice puts an arm on her shoulder, giving her a quick hug.

        "I'm with Torey. Stay out of these hospitals for a while, eh?" Patrice adds, grinning. 

        I roll my eyes, but laugh along with him. Then my eyes land on Milan, who's standing in the back, alone.

        "Milan? You okay back there, bud?" I ask, sitting up. There's a bit of pain in my chest, but nothing I can't manage.

        Milan looks up, his eyes wide and watery. "I'm so sorry, Adam." 

        My eyes go wide, and my jaw drops. "Dude, it's fine. It was an accident." I grin, trying to help him feel better. "I'm alive, aren't I? You'll just get it when the season starts."

        The people in the room laugh, including Milan. We talk for a few minutes, and then the guys leave.

        "I'm seriously sick of this place." I sigh, closing my eyes. Phoebe sits on the edge of the bed, running a hand through my hair. Her fingers get tangled in my curls, but it's more comforting than anything else. 

        "Stop hurting yourself, then." Phoebe says, brushing more of my hair back. I open my eyes, and see Phoebe chewing her lip.

        "What's wrong?" I ask, moving over on the bed. Phoebe lays down next to me, her head on my shoulder. I wrap my arms around her, pulling her in close.

        "I just hate seeing you hurt all the time." Phoebe whispers, putting a hand over my heart. 

        "I'll be fine." I whisper, kissing her forehead. "Just a scratch." 

        Phoebe groans, pressing her face into the curve of my neck. 

        "Am I staying the night again?" I ask, closing my eyes again.

        Phoebe nods, sighing. "You have to. They want to keep you under watch for a while. You'll be able to come home tomorrow."

        "Are you going to be here to pick me up?" I ask, smiling.