Chapter Three

My POV

        "This is a nice place." Adam says, looking up at the paintings I have on the wall. "Cozy."

        "Yeah, if you like a cramped space." I laugh, stirring the noodles. 

        "It's been forever since I've had spaghetti." He laughs, walking back over to me. He stands next to me at the stove, his hot breath hitting my neck. 

        "I live off of this." I smile, moving to the sink to drain the pasta. 

        "Need help?" Adam asks, watching me work.

        "You can stir the sauce, please." I say, nodding back to the stove. 

        He nods, then walks back over. As I finish with the pasta, I turn and look at him. Adam is humming something to himself, swaying back and forth as he works with the sauce. 

        "Having fun?" I ask, making him jump.

        Adam laughs, looking back down to hide his grin. "Maybe."

        I smile at him, watching him. He looks so different than he did all those years ago, and those years had been kind to him. His brown curls were still the same, falling softly over his forehead. His tall figure is strongly built, bulky. 

        I shake my head, trying to remove the thoughts. "Ready to eat?" 

        Adam nods, lifting the pot of sauce off the burner. "Always am." 

        A few minutes later, we're sitting at the kitchen table, quietly eating the quick dinner.

        "Hey, how's Torey doing?" Adam asks suddenly, breaking the silence. 

        I look up at him, and smile shyly. "He's alright. Concussion, and a broken tibia, but he'll be alright. His girlfriend was there before we were."

        "Emily?" He asks, reacting to the sound of the word 'girlfriend'. 

        "Yeah, that's her. You know her?" 

        "Yeah. She's a great girl. Little crazy, but in a good way." Adam laughs, wiping at his mouth. 

        "I have a feeling I'm going to like her." I grin.

        "We all do. She has this weird obsession with Boston. Even named her fish after Torey."         

        "Well, they're dating. That's sort of normal." I laugh, causing another grin from Adam.

        "This was BEFORE they even met, though!"

        "No way! Seriously?!" 

        Adam bursts out laughing, his head tilted back. "I'm dead serious."

        I grin, my mood changing from when I first ran into Adam again. 

        "It's good to see you again." Adam says, smiling at me. 

        I glance up, my eyes looking him over. His smile is bright in the light, shining at me. "You too. I missed you."        

        "You did?" He asks, the smile fading. Now he just looks confused.

        "Yeah. I waited for you to come back, and once I realized you weren't coming...I really started to miss you." I say quietly, looking down at my plate again.

        Adam sighs, then reaches across the table to take my hand in his. "I'm really sorry. I wanted to come get you. I just couldn't. And that hurt. I cried all the time, not knowing where you were, or how you were doing."