Chapter Twenty Seven

My POV

        "You know they said he wouldn't make it, right?" 

        I stop trying to wrench away from Patrice, shuddering to a halt. "What?"

        "I'm really sorry." Patrice whispers, bowing his head.

        There's a minute of silence in the hall as I try to take everything in. Patrice's grip weakens, and his hands drop from my shoulders.

        "Can I.." I take a deep, rattling breath as I try to hold myself together. "Can I go in and see him?" 

        Patrice nods, slowly stepping to the side.

        I fail to see his mischievous grin as I walk into Adam's room. I shut the door behind me, standing by the foot of the bed.

        Torey and Dougie look up at me from their spot on the windowsill. They don't say a word, just offer sympathetic smiles.

        "I was wondering when you were going to show your pretty little butt up." A voice from next to me says, laughing slightly.

        I look to my left, and I can't control myself. "ADAM!"

        Adam's POV

        "ADAM!" My lovely fiancee cries, her teary face suddenly lighting up.

        I grin, holding up my arms slowly. "Come here." I whisper, wiggling my fingers, motioning her over.

        Phoebe slowly walks over to the bed, gingerly sitting on the side. My smiles fades as she just sits there.

        "What the hell?" I see Torey mouth to Patrice. He shrugs, watching us.

        I sit back on the bed, dropping my arms. "Phoebe?"

        "I hate you." Phoebe says plainly, shivering. 

        My mouth drops and my eyes go wide. Patrice looks shocked, Torey and Dougie matching horrified expressions.

        "Wh-what?" I stutter, staring at Phoebe.

        She nod, a tear streaming down her cheek. "You almost left me. I hate you!" She cries one more time, then turns and lays on me.

        I sigh, shaking off the terror. My arms go around Phoebe's shaking shoulders, holding her close. "You scared the hell out of me." 

        "I'm sorry." Phoebe whispers, her voice muffled against my shoulder. "I'm so sorry, Adam."

        Patrice motions to Torey and Dougie to follow him, and they leave the room. Patrice offers a supportive smile before shutting the door behind him.

        "What are you sorry for? You didn't do anything." I tell Phoebe, kissing the top of her head.

        "I flipped out on you over nothing." Phoebe says, sitting up. She pushes her hair back, gripping it in one hand. "I could have lost you, and had to live with that."

        I sit up, wiping a stray tear from her cheek. "Shh, it's okay. You don't have to now." 

        "I almost had to! I almost lost you, Adam" Phoebe yells, burying her face in her hands. "It would have been hell without you. I wouldn't have been able to live with myself!"

        I watch Phoebe break down in front of me, speechless. 

        "I hate myself for what I did. I could have-" Phoebe starts, but I've had enough.