Chapter Nine

Season 1: History Repeating

There's no sign of Stefan when she enters the classroom. Rosalie had wanted to talk to him about what happened last night before class started. She felt bad after she went home. He was heart broken. He lost his best friend that helped him through the hard times because of his brother's selfish reason to cover his tracks. She took her seat in the middle back of the classroom. Bonnie speeds into the classroom; her books tight to her chest and in follows a man who seemed to be in his late 20s-early 30s.

"Good morning!" He greets. The man walks to the chalkboard and picks up a white piece of chalk. "Alrighty. Let's see..." The man scribbles the name Alaric Saltzman across the board. Setting the chalk down on the metal bar; he turns to the classroom.

"Alaric Saltzman. It's a mouthful, I know, doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. Saltzman is of German Origins. My family emigrated here in 1755 to Texas. I, however, was born and raised in Boston. Now, the name Alaric belongs to a very dead great-grandfather I will never be able to thank enough. You'll probably want to pronounce it 'Ala-Ric' but its 'A-Lar-Ic', okay? So you can call me Rick. I'm your new history teacher" Mr. Saltzman introduces himself with false confidence. He was clearly nervous with the slight fidgeting he did with his feet.

History is one of Rosalie's favorite subjects, despite not being very great at it. And now having someone who seems kind and doesn't launch harsh comments like Mr.Tanner did, sounds pleasing. Another plus is he's not bad to look at it. Sandy brown hair, light brown eyebrows, narrow blue eyes. Brown five o'clock shadow, about five eleven. Decent built. Nice eye candy for the girls in his class.

Rosalie's eyes wander back to Stefan's chair. Still no sign of him. She plays with her waist-length hair nervously.

***

"Matt!" Rosalie shouts. Caroline runs her tongue along her upper teeth with a closed mouth. Matt looks behind him to see the petite girl. Matt smiles at her and waves Rosalie over.

"Hey, Rosie. How's it going?" Caroline crosses her arms in annoyance. All she wanted was Matt to pay attention to her after their moment last night. She felt something for him. He comforted her after Damon called her a bunch of things out of spite.

"Rosalie, hey. Can I have time with Matt? Alone? We have things to discuss" Caroline dismisses Rosalie harshly. Rosalie looks between them.

"Caroline, really?" Matt glares. "Lame girl move" Matt saunters off. Caroline reflects her guilt in her posture.

"He'll come around, Caroline" Rosalie smiles sympathetically.

"I don't need to hear anything from you" Caroline hisses before strutting off in her own direction; leaving her Rosalie to stand by herself. Rosalie blinks at the back of Caroline's blonde head.

"What did I do?..." Rosalie whispers. Stefan appears out of nowhere and smiles down at her. Rosalie gasps; letting out a laugh. "You can't do that, Stefan! What if someone sees you?"

"Oh, please. I've been standing here for about thirty seconds now" Stefan licks his lips.

"You weren't in class today. We have a new history teacher. Mr. Alaric Saltzman" She smiles. Stefan nods.

"Is he nice?" Rosalie nods.

"Very!" She smiles happily. Stefan gulps; a sigh leaving his lips.

Stefan frowns and looks down at his shoes. "Look, there's something I need to tell you"

"What is it?" Rosalie eagerly asks. She's hoping he'll mention something from last night.