Chapter Fifty-Seven

Season 3: Bringing Out the Dead

Rosalie opens the Gilbert fridge and takes out a fruit bowl and a bottle of water. Alaric walks into the kitchen tiredly. His hair is complete mess and his facial expressions read hungover. Rosalie glances at the dining table where she saw a bottle of alcohol earlier.

"Morning" Rosalie smiles. Alaric smiles small and then returns to his frown. He goes into a cupboard and scrunches up his eyebrows.

"I thought they had aspirin?" Rosalie tucks her nails under the metal dome knob and opens a drawer. She takes out a fork and bumps the drawer close with her hip.

"Vitamin cabinet. Had a fun night?" She chortles. Alaric playfully glares at her over his shoulder as he snatches the plastic bottle filled with white pill circles out.

"Sorry about that. It was bit of a weird night" Rosalie pops the lid off her bowl and stabs a chunk of watermelon.

"I didn't hear anything from Jeremy's room so don't worry, even if I did, it's none of my business," Alaric chuckles. "What was weird about last night?"

"I feel a little guilty for whisky dialing Meredith at two in the a.m" Rosalie shakes her head.

"Oh jeez, Alaric. Was she okay with it?" Alaric sighs.

"Well, once the aspirin kicks in, and remember the conversation...I'll let you know" Rosalie grins. The doorbell rings. Rosalie frowns and sighs. She sticks her fork into the bowl of fruit and walks to the door; Alaric right on her tail.

Rosalie opens the door to see Liz Forbes pacing. She scrunches her eyebrows. Rosalie walks outside with Alaric.

"Sheriff Forbes? Hi, um, what can we do for you?" Rosalie asks politely.

"This is an unconventional conversation we're about to have, so I hope you'll protect me on it" Rosalie nods.

"Of course! Anything you need"

"I assume you both heard our medical examiner was murdered last night of the Wickery Bridge Fundraiser" Rosalie frowns and nods.

"Yeah. Brian Walters. Why?" Alaric rubs his head.

"We've investigating," Liz raises a bag with a wooden brown, bloody stake inside. Evidence in bold, black letters are printed across it. "Someone drove this stake through his heart" Rosalie tenses. Alaric takes the bag from Liz and examines the stake.

"It's one of ours. I mean, this is one of a set from Elena's parents lake house" Rosalie shakes her head in disbelief.

"I haven't told anyone, but forensics ran it for prints and found only one clean set" Liz frowns. "It's Elena's" Rosalie's head jerks up.

***

" Elena is seen as the prime suspect since her fingerprints are on the stake. We're trying to figure out why someone would have this diary and the stake to kill a council member. It's not like they can read it" Damon smirks on the other line.

"Why don't you just ask Ric if his dirty little doctor had access to the weapons" Alaric pauses from taking out the stakes from his black duffel bag.

"You're on speaker phone, Dick" Alaric growls.

"I'm just saying, first suspect is usually the right one. Don't get so defensive" Rosalie frowns.

"Brian Walters was killed days ago. Alright? I didn't show Meredith this stuff until last night" Rosalie sits down at the table. She takes the fork with a chuck of honeydew on it and munches on it.