Chapter Fifty-Five

Season 3: Our Town

Rosalie stamps a fluffy pom pom ball to Caroline's locker. Today is her birthday and she deserves the world. Elena plops the balloons on the floor and admires Rosalie's work. Bonnie comes rushing over to the brunettes.

"Hey, sorry I'm late. I...I got held up" Rosalie smiles.

"It's okay. I just got here, too" Elena assures her. "What got you running late?"

"I, uh, was working on some new spells, you?"

"Working out with Alaric" Bonnie flashes the poster that has 'Happy Birthday Caroline!' in colorful bubble letters. Flower stickers litter the purple board.

Rosalie continues sticking decorations to Caroline's letter. She decided that she wouldn't tell anyone about the kiss. She still didn't know how to feel about it. She really didn't kiss back, she just kind of, calmed down. Rosalie is going back and forth in her head. Did she cheat on Stefan? Stefan thinks they aren't together anymore, but Rosalie does. She also didn't want to hurt Damon's feelings again by turning him down for the third time.

"...Rosalie? Rosalie?" Bonnie calls. Rosalie jumps. "You okay?" Rosalie smiles and nods.

"Sorry, I was just...spaced out" Bonnie and Elena share a look.

***

Caroline opens her front door and sighs. She slams it shut behind her. She tosses her keys on the stand next to the door. Bonnie, Matt, , and Elena slide into the hallway. Bonnie and Matt wear pointed party hats as Elena wears purple, fluffy tiara.

"Surprise!" They shout.

"Happy birthday!" Matt grins. Caroline smiles awkwardly.

"What are you guys doing here?" Rosalie giggles.

"Well, since you didn't come to the party at school, we brought it here" Caroline walks over to the trio. Elena takes the tiara off and tucks it into Caroline's blonde hair.

"Change into warmer clothes, we're going to the Falls. S'mores, campfire" Caroline adjusts the tiara as Bonnie talks.

"Cake. Like when we were little" Matt holds out a bottle of alcohol.

"Except tequila" Caroline chuckles. Rosalie notices her under excitement.

"Ah, thank, guys, really. Um...I'm just not really feeling my birthday this year" Rosalie knits her brows together.

"I'm sorry, what?" Bonnie laughs. "You've already claimed your birthday as everyone's favorite day of the year" Caroline frowns.

"Yeah, and now it's just a reminder that, technically, I'm dead. Look, the only point to seventeen was to get to eighteen. It's a filler year. I am stuck in a filler year" Rosalie bites her lip; her enthusiasm leaving her body. Maybe they should leave and give Caroline some space.

"You're not stuck, Caroline" Elena tries to comfort her.

"Yeah, I am. But it's okay. You know, it's all good. I will be fine. But I just need some time to wallow in it" Elena pauses before smiling.

"Okay. Well, I think I have another idea" Rosalie looks at Matt and Matt shrugs.

***

"Oh. Oh, there it is" Rosalie grips Matt's hand as the five of the friends make their way to a cemetery shed. An owl hoots, scaring Rosalie. It's night time and the trees create creepy shadows from the moonlight.