Chapter Eighty-One

Season Four: Stand By Me

"Oh, no. Oh, god, no" Elena runs into the opening and straight to her little brother. Her voice trembles in fear. She places half of Jeremy's body onto her lap; supporting his head on her arm while checking his pulse. "Oh, god..." She whimpers. "It's fine. It's fine. It's fine" She assures herself. "You're going to be okay" She snivels. "The ring will bring you back"

She hugs her younger brother to her chest and buries her face into his hair. Stefan slowly eases around the corner as Elena's continues to convince herself that Jeremy's still alive. Stefan stares in horror at Jeremy's dead body. Elena sobs into his hair. Rosalie groans and lifts her hand to her head. Stefan gulps nervously.

Not only is Elena going to be devastated when she finds out Jeremy is actually dead, he'll have to help Rosalie too. Those two are best friends, even though they haven't spent a lot of time together recently, which is going to contribute to even more heartbreak, she knows she'll always have Jeremy to come to.

Stefan hears shoes scraping against the ground and immediately runs to it. Damon comes sauntering to the pathway with narrowed eyebrows. Damon gives Stefan a concern look.

"What happened?" Damon demands. Stefan glances behind him and pushes Damon further down the pathway to get away from Rosalie and Elena.

"Jeremy's dead" Damon scrunches his eyebrows together.

"How'd this happen?" He scoffs.

"It was Katherine. She must have been following us this whole time" Stefan tucks his hands into his pockets.

"What about the cure, or Silas?" Damon grows angrier.

"If there was anything in there at all, it's all gone" Stefan speaks softly.

"Where the hell is Bonnie?" Damon growls.

"I have no idea, she went looking for Jeremy last night, she never came back" Stefan takes a deep breath. "Damon, Elena's in there waiting for the Gilbert ring to bring Jeremy back to life" Stefan whispers. Damon shrugs.

"Okay, fine. We'll wait with them" Damon goes to walk back to the room when Stefan stops him.

"Damon, listen to me. Jeremy was one of the five, a hunter" Stefan reminds his brother sadly. Damon gulps.

"He's supernatural. The ring won't work anymore" They stand in silence. Damon narrows his eyes. "They won't survive this" Stefan nods. "I'll find Bonnie, you get them off this island" Damon nearly growls.

***

Caroline scrubs the wooden floor in Elena's living room roughly, hoping the burn mark left behind from Kol would come out. The front door opens and in comes an exhausted , Elena and Stefan come in right behind her.

"Hey, you're home!" Caroline greets with a smile. "I was trying to clean the burn mark where Kol--" Caroline eyes Jeremy's body that Stefan's carrying. He's wrapped up in a dark green blanket; Rosalie had cleaned all the blood off of his face and neck. Rosalie had always cleaned herself up on the way back. "I couldn't get the spot out" Caroline slowly finishes.

"Come on. Let's get him upstairs" Elena orders. Stefan, Elena and Rosalie all had up the stairs to his bedroom. Caroline keeps her eyes locked on Jeremy. Something is clearly off.

Rosalie hugs her body and stays by the door as Stefan lays him down on his bed. Elena takes his side and sits down on the bed, she uncovers his body and grabs his hand with the ring in it. Stefan stares sympathetically at Elena.