Chapter Seventy-Three

Season 4: My Brother's Keeper

"Blue" Elena and Caroline say immediately after April holds the two long dresses up. Rosalie actually prefered the red. The blue made her look gothic with her black hair, pale complexion and shining baby blue eyes. The red brought sexiness and maturity to her.

"I like the red" Rosalie smiles sheepishly. Elena and Caroline groan in unison. Caroline crosses her arms over her golden sequin dress.

"The blue seems a little safe" April admits. Elena nods.

"Safe is good when it comes to the judges" She plays with her fishtail braid. Rosalie swats her long curled locks over her shoulder.

"Red makes you stand out" The short brunette argues. Caroline shakes her head.

"Elena's right. Gracie Lockwood had a three foot slit her year and practically got laughed off the court" Caroline snickers. Rosalie frowns. She remembered that. She felt awful for her. Elena covers her mouth to contain her laughter. Damon walks through the open door.

Rosalie smiles at the suited Salvatore. She had a slight flashback to last year when she was in the running for Miss Mystic. She thought about participating today but she didn't want to get that dolled up. Caroline frowns and slaps her straight blonde hair over her shoulder.

"She got my vote" Damon smirks. Elena frowns.

"Get out. Lurker!" Caroline throws a coaster at the ravenette and it softly bounces off his chest and on the floor.

"Ouch" Damon breathes. Caroline groans. Rosalie giggles.

Damon's eyes shift from Caroline to Rosalie. He looks her up and down briefly. He still remembers her in her silk emerald green dress that hung just below her shoulders. She looked amazing.

"Where's Professor Shane?" He asks. Caroline walks over to the door and smiles innocently.

"Check the judges table" She slams the door in his face, but he stops it before it completely shuts. Rosalie huffs and walks over to the door. She opens it for Damon. He smirks at Caroline and enters the room. He looks in between the two dresses April holds.

"Red one, definitely" Rosalie grins.

"I said the same thing" Damon smiles.

"Guess we have good taste" Elena bites her tongue.

"We've already agreed that the red one's a little bit too showy" Caroline straightens her posture. Damon scrunches his eyebrows out and throws his hands up.

"It's a pageant. That's the whole point" Rosalie laughs.

"That's what I'm saying!" Caroline pouts. Damon grins ear to ear.

"Did either of you win Miss Mystic last year? No. I don't think you did" Rosalie frowns. Damon wraps his arm around Rosalie's shoulders and smirks.

"We don't need an award to know we won" Rosalie chortles and pushes his hand off. "Rosalie didn't win and she wore green. The other blonde wore blue. Red is the way to go, I think" Damon shrugs.

"Nobody cares what you think" Caroline grumbles. April smiles timidly.

"I care" Damon and Rosalie smile.

"See? April cares. Red, right, Elena?" Damon encourages. Elena pauses. Caroline looks at her friend expectedly. Rosalie crosses her fingers. Elena looks at the red dress and then the blue. She then looks down at her black lace dress and slides her hands down her hips to straighten the dress. She doesn't look up.