Chapter Sixteen

Season 1: There Goes the Neighborhood

"Damon hasn't said a word to me. Every time I try to talk to him, he shuts me down" Stefan frowns. He crosses his arms and adjusts his posture against the locker to the left of his girlfriend's locker. shuts her locker; spinning the combination. She gives Stefan her full attention.

"He's heartbroken, Stefan. I'm sure he's still trying to find Katherine. She's the love of his life" Stefan sighs. A small smile on his face as he admires the compassionate woman in front of him. How did he get so lucky to have such a caring, selfless partner?

"After a hundred and forty-five years and only found out now that Katherine couldn't care less. I mean, it's going to feel like he was stabbed in the heart multiple times," Rosalie nods. She can't imagine how heartbroken he is right now. Stefan pushes his hands into his pocket.

"Come on. Let's go to French" Rosalie smiles sweetly. Stefan grins and wraps his arm around her shoulders.

***

"Mattie! Hey" Rosalie brings Matt in for a hug. Matt grins and squeezes her lightly before pulling back. Matt nods at Stefan as a hello and Stefan mimics him.

"Hey, Rosalie. Stefan. I was wondering if you would like to go on a double date with me and Caroline?" Rosalie scrunches her eyebrows together.

"Really? Us? I don't know, Mattie. Would Caroline be okay with me going?" Rosalie trails off. Matt chuckles.

"This could be a bonding sort of thing. You can bond with Caroline and Stefan and me will bond. It's nothing major or anything, probably like a movie or a quick dinner at the grill? We all haven't hung out before like this" Rosalie bites her lip and looks behind her, up at Stefan.

"What do you think?" Matt stares at Stefan, pleading silently. Stefan smiles down at Rosalie.

"I think that sounds like a great idea. Just a relaxing double date. Drama-free" Matt nods.

"Alright, I'll see you guys later tonight. Grill, five-ish?" Rosalie shakes her head. Matt leaves without a goodbye and Rosalie turns to Stefan.

"Are you sure? I mean, what if something bad happens? We aren't completely out of the clear yet and I don't want them getting involved--" Stefan kisses her softly. He slowly pulls back, looking into her surprised eyes.

"Everything will be perfectly fine. Let's go without vampire drama for the next twelve hours, agree?" Rosalie presses on her toes and pecks Stefan.

"Agreed" Stefan smiles.

"Perfect" Stefan wraps his arm around her shoulders and guides her away from Rosalie's locker.

***

"Pink lemonade and small fries please" The waiter collects the menus and smiles down at Caroline crosses her arms and leans back in the booth. Matt scratches the back of his neck awkwardly. Before Rosalie and Stefan had gotten to the grill, Caroline and Matt got into an argument about Rosalie. Caroline didn't want her here. Caroline and Elena still don't like her, even though all the drama has subsided.

"So! Mattie, how's working at the grill going? Is everyone treating you nice?" Matt smiles and nods.

"It's great. The pay is decent, there's an occasional drunk idiots but besides that everyone's pretty nice here" Matt explains. "I actually put my mom up for the job as bartender, hopefully she'll think about it" Rosalie smiles.