Chapter Forty-Two

Season 2: The Last Day

"Tonight is the full moon. We should assume that Klaus is prepared to break the curse" Elijah explains. Elena nods. bites her lip and lace her fingers with Stefan's. Stefan rubs his thumb along hers.

"Elena said the that sun and moon curse is fake? That it's actually just a curse placed on Klaus" Stefan says.

"Klaus is a vampire born of a werewolf bloodline. The curse has kept his werewolf aspect from manifesting, but if he breaks it...he'll be a true hybrid. I thought I'd add this in. Rosalie, I cannot promise you'll be safe tonight. Klaus wants you dead. If he catches you, you'll be good as gone. I can only help Elena survive this" Rosalie stiffens.

"Then why are we letting him break the curse?" Damon interrupts; walking into the living room. "We can kill him today. With Bonnie"

"Damon. I don't know if you can get this through your thick skull, but Bonnie can't use that much power without dying" Elena snarls.

"I'll write her a great eulogy" Rosalie scrunches her eyebrows softly.

"It's not an option, Damon" Elena raises her voice. Everyone could feel the tension.

"Alright, how do we break this curse?" Stefan changes the subject.

"Well, the ritual itself is relatively straightforward. The ingredients, so to speak, you already know" Elijah leaves his spot.

"The moonstone" Elena breathes.

"A witch will channel the power of the full moon to release the spell that's bound within the stone. After that, Klaus, being both werewolf and vampire, will sacrifice one of each" Elijah wanders.

"And where do I fit into it?" Elena questions.

"The final part of the ritual. Klaus must drink the blood of the doppelganger...to the point of your death" Rosalie looks at Elena.

"And that's where you come in" Elijah nods.

"This is an elixir that I acquired some five-hundred years ago for Katerina. It possesses mystical properties of resuscitation" Elena scrunches up her eyebrows.

"So I'll be dead?"

"And then you won't"

"Can you give some to Rosalie? We'll try and keep her as safe as possible, but if something were to happen?" Elijah frowns.

"Elena needs to drink the entire thing to survive"

"That's your plan! A magical witch potion with no expiration date? You want to come back to life, what about John's ring?" Damon shakes his head.

"Those rings only work on humans. Rosalie can wear it. The doppelganger's a supernatural occurrence, odd's are it won't work on Elena. " Damon glares at Elijah.

"I can't take anyone's ring. That'll just make them vulnerable" Rosalie murmurs. Damon grits his teeth.

"What if it doesn't work Elena?"

"I guess I'll just be dead" Damon shakes his head frustrated. Damon exits the room. "Do we know if Klaus has everything he needs to do this? Does he have a werewolf?"

"Klaus has been waiting to break this curse for over a thousand years. If he doesn't already have a werewolf, my guess is tonight, he will"