Chapter Forty-Four

Season 2: As I Lay Dying

throws a grape into air and opens her mouth to catch it, only for it to hit her upper lip and roll across the blanket. The movie on the lawn was about to begin. Jeremy chuckles. Elena and Caroline giggle. Elena looks behind Rosalie. Rosalie had moved Jeremy's legs and is sitting on her knees. Stefan struts over to the trio. Elena smiles.

"Look who couldn't resist an epic romance" Elena teases. Rosalie perks up and looks behind her. Stefan kneels down and kisses Rosalie's cheek.

"Will you come take a walk with me?" He whispers in her ear. Rosalie bites her lip and smiles. She pops off the ground and intertwines her fingers with Stefan's, allowing him to take the lead.

"Couldn't resist movie night?" Stefan smiles, bringing Rosalie behind a tree and out of sight of their friends.

He gently pins her against it and kisses her passionately. Rosalie giggles and rests her hands on his broad chest. Rosalie pulls away after a couple of seconds.

"I needed to do that" Rosalie pecks his lips. "I'm also the bearer of bad news" Rosalie frowns.

"Stefan, today is suppose to be a distraction"

"It can't wait. If it could, I would be frolicking around with you" Rosalie combs her fingers softly through his hair. "Listen, um, the other night when Damon was helping Tyler, something happened" Rosalie straightens her posture.

"Like what?" She replies nervously.

"Tyler was starting to transform, and Damon was bitten" Rosalie's eyes widen and her jaw drops slightly.

"W--What? No, no! He can't die, Stefan" Stefan caresses her face with both hands.

"No, no, no, no, no water works. He told me not to tell you, but I figured if you wanted to talk to him, I wouldn't wait" Rosalie stares into Stefan's green eyes. "It's not over. There might be a cure, but I have to find Klaus to get it" Rosalie shakes her head.

"Stefan, he'll kill you" She mumbles.

"Klaus had a chance to kill me, and he didn't. He purposely left me alive because he wants something from me. Whatever Damon's done, whatever has led him here, I'm the one that made him become a vampire in the first place. So if there's a chance for a cure, I owe it to him to find it" Rosalie blinks and reluctantly nods.

Stefan pulls her in and kisses her softly. He pulls away and rests his forehead on hers. "Go talk to him. Just tell him that there's still hope" Rosalie clenches his jacket, nodding.

***

Rosalie parks her car in the driveway and gets out, slamming the door behind her and locking the door. Rosalie walks toward the door when she feels a weird sense of someone watching her. She flips around to look at her car. There's no one. Rosalie sighs and turns back around. Her mouth is covered by Sheriff Forbes. She tries to push her hand back. Liz looks down at her uncomfortably.

Two deputies stand behind her. "I just need you to listen to me" Rosalie shakes her head. "Rosalie!" She raises her voice. Rosalie flinches.

***

Rosalie paces back and forth in Liz's office. Liz bursts into the room frustrated. Rosalie glowers at her.

"Where's Damon? What did you do to him?" Rosalie demands.

"Why do you even care? You know what they care about, what they do" Rosalie scoffs. Liz walks around her and to her desk

"He's my friend" Rosalie states. "I'm guessing you feel the same about Caroline. Since you haven't killed her yet" Liz slams her files down. Rosalie flinches but keeps a brave face. "I understand why you hate them, but you're wrong" Liz glares at the petite girl.