Chapter 16

Italic - dream

Chapter 16

Third Person

Sweat ran down Aria's forehead as she thrashed around in her sleep, her feet kicking away the blanket when it became tangled around her legs.

" Oh Aria...how safe do you think you are." The voice laughed as Aria ran through the darkness. " No matter where you go, how far you run, or even where you hide, you cannot escape me." Fire shot up around her and she raised her arms to block it from her face. A scream was ripped from her throat, and she could feel someone grabbing her.

" Aria, wake up." Someone yelled at her as she began to thrash and try to pull away from the hands holding her. When the person was finally able to get her to open her eyes, she found Loki looking down at her. She moved away from him, and she almost thought she saw concern in his eyes. " I'm sorry." She told him when she noticed the fading hand prints on his face.

" Now, If your through trying to wake up all of Asgard, I think I'll be going now." He said ignoring her apology. " Why were you up?" She asked as he started to get off the bed and he stiffened in response, and Aria found herself glancing at his thoughts. Sensing the intrusion, Loki turned on her, a look of annoyance plastered across his face. " You should be careful when intruding on another's thoughts, you never know what hidden knowledge you might find there, it might just be the last thing you do." He warned before he got up and left the room, leaving Aria to the silence.

Aria's POV

I let out a sigh as I sat in the gardens around the palace, but my tranquility was soon interrupted as Chloe appeared next to me, so suddenly that I nearly feel backwards off the bench. " Aria,  guess what today is." She cried in excitement, and I stared at her in confusion. " It's May 19th; Aria, it's your birthday." Chloe declared. I felt my stomach churn at the idea that it may not even be my real birthday.

" it's not my birthday, Chloe."

" Of course it is." She said and I looked away. " My parents aren't my parents Chloe, what's to say that today isn't my real birthday; what's to say I even have one." I questioned and Chloe rolled her eyes before grabbing my hand, dragging me off the bench, and pulling me away from the garden. " Chloe, where are we going?"

" You'll see." Chloe giggled pulling me down the hallways of the palace, before coming to a stop outside the kitchen and leading me inside. " Wait here." Chloe said before going over to one of the chefs that was busily preparing lunch for everyone in the palace. After a quick word with the chef, they disappeared through a door, leaving me to stare after them in confusion.  When Chloe came back, she was carrying a basket. " What are you doing?" I asked as she started out the kitchen door, forcing me to follow after her.

When we made it back to my room, she grabbed one of the extra blankets from the trunk at the foot of the bed and laid it out on the floor before setting the basket in the center. " Everyone deserves a party on thier birthday, real or not." She told me before opening the basket and pulling out a large muffin. " They didn't have any cupcakes, so I thought this would be a good substitute." She told me and I smiled at her attempt before joining her on the floor.

" Make a wish." She joked holding out a candle she had grabbed from the draw of the side table and I gave her a look as she lit it. " I'm pretty sure it doesn't count if you say it out loud, you know since we're technically the same person."

I took the candle stick from her and stared at it for a moment before lightly blowing at the flame. " What did you wish for?" A voice called from the doorway and we both turned to find the queen watching us with a small smile. I hadn't realized that I was crying until I felt something drip on my hand. " Nothing."