Chapter three - run over by a monster truck

Dedicated to karmasucks because she has proved to be the greatest twitter-company on late writing nights, and because I love her store You Think You Know Me soooo much :)

Louis' POV

Hell. That's what these past days were. Every inch of my body was aching, as if I was being run over by a monster truck, over and over again. Add the never ending diarrhoea, puking and drooling and you get the picture. I don't even remember what I've been saying to Liam through it all. I have some memories of him sitting against the wall opposite to the bed, and him helping me to the bathroom to do whatever I had to do at the time. Whatever it was I'd said, I'm sure it wasn't anything nice.

I blinked against the sunlight that was streaming into the room as I slowly woke up. My body still felt sore, but I wasn't cold any more, and it seemed like my intestines had found some much needed rest too. I looked around to find any clue of what day it was, only then discovering I was actually clutching to the boy who was laying next to me. Liam. My arms were around his waist, my fist gripping onto his shirt while his arm slung loosely around my waist. It felt a bit strange, but safe nevertheless. I didn't want to wake him up, realising he probably wouldn't have slept much either. I closed my eyes again, enjoying the comforting warmth of his body next to mine. After an hour or so, wouldn't really know since I didn't have a clock, I felt him stirring, slowly waking up. His brown eyes met mine, and I blushed a little when I realised I was still holding him firmly. I unwrapped myself from around him and smiled back at him.

“Feeling better?” he asked softly.

“Yeah, slightly sore, but it feels like the monster truck has finally left the building.” I replied.

“Good. You shouldn't expect the craving to be gone yet though. It takes a while before you realise there's other good things to life than getting another shot and get high.”

“Now you do sound like one of those social workers,” I teased. “But thanks for warning. I really appreciate what you're doing for me,” I added, hoping he noticed my sincerity.

“Sorry. And no problem. It's my pleasure. Kind of. That just sounds weird, right?” he replied.

I chuckled at his statement and the confused look on his face. “I'm actually quite hungry, that's a first.”

“Get in the shower, I'll prepare us something. Niall should be up soon too.”

“Thanks. Hey Liam?”

“Yes? What day is today? And what time is it, actually?”

“It's Friday, and it's 7.30am,” he smiled, after checking his phone for the time.

I got into the shower, enjoying the warm water beating down on my sore muscles. I stayed in longer than I normally would, finally feeling like I could get out clean. I took my time, rubbing the body wash into every one of my pores, washing and rinsing my hair thoroughly before finally turning the shower off and stepping out of it, into the now steam filled bathroom. I dried off, enjoying the softness of the towel against my tender skin. The puncture marks on my arms were starting to fade, the infection slowly disappearing. I put on one of the boxer shorts Liam had borrowed me, as well as some low cut jeans and a red shirt with Che Guevara on it. I smiled at it, it suited him to own this kind of shirt. The steam still hadn't dissolved completely, so I used my towel to wipe the mirror, looking at the man who stood there for the first time in 5 days. I looked less pale, and however my eyes were still surrounded by dark circles, they weren't bloodshot any more. I could almost pass for a healthy 20 year old. Almost, that is. I pulled my fingers through my still moist hair, combing my fringe to the right before I emerged out of the bathroom, feeling slightly pleased with myself for pulling through the nightmare of detox and with how I looked.

“Morning,” I greeted Liam and Niall who were already munching away on the pancakes that were stacked inches high on two different plates. Liam just smiled his genuine smile at me, making me a bit fizzy and warm inside.

“Hi!” Niall replied cheerily. He seemed to like me better without the poison running through my veins. Fair enough. 

“Enjoyed your shower?” Liam asked

“God yes! I actually feel clean for the first time in months,” I replied, taking my seat next to him at the counter, earning me another one of his smiles. I pushed away the burning question in the back of my head, wondering why I was having this fizzy warm feeling whenever he flashed that smile at me, instead attacking the pancakes that were in front of me.

“There's syrup over here, but if you'd like some Nutella on them, that's in the cupboard over the stove.” Niall told me.

“Nutella? Really? Oh my, I haven't had any since I was five or something!” I exclaimed, jumping up and running to the cupboard to get it.

Niall and Liam both sniggered at my excited face as I stuffed my face with Nutella pancakes.

“That. Was. So. Good.” I stated, leaning back after munching down about 8 pancakes covered with a thick layer of Nutella.

“We noticed.” Niall chuckled.

“Feel like going out today Louis?” Liam's friendly voice sounded.

I hesitated. I was actually dying for some fresh air, but I also knew that I was weak. Not so much physically, but mentally. I was bound to see, smell or hear things that would trigger my want for another shot. Be it old friends, other addicts or even something simple like empty beercans. Liam seemed to read my mind.

“You wouldn't have to go out alone, of course. I don't mind coming with you. Hell, after this week I'm not allowing you outside on your own, don't plan on going through this again, really.” he added, a teasing smile tugging on his full, soft lips.

Louis! What the hell are you thinking? You're not gay! Right? Am I? I never really thought about it actually. I've had girlfriends, and I was certainly never attracted to the men I had slept with for money, but then again, I was never attracted to women over 30 either. What if I am? Do I like Liam now? And does that make me automatically gay? I was pulled out of my thoughts by Niall who waved his hand in front of my eyes, trying to get a reaction from me.

“'Ellooooooo?”

“Yes? Sorry, I kinda zoned out, I guess.”

“I was wondering if you two would like to come with me to this art exhibition from Harry's Uni. He's a real talented drawer and his art class has this exhibition this month. It's opening this afternoon. It might be nice for you to meet him, since you'll probably be living over here for a while now.”

I was a bit surprised by his statement. They wanted me to live with them? My eyes searched for Liam's and his warm brown gaze rested on me, once more causing this warm fizzyness to appear.

“Earth to Louis?!” Niall exclaimed.

“You... you guys want me to stay?” I managed to bring out.

“Sure, where else would you go?” they both replied at the same time.

“Wow... Thanks. I guess.”

“Yeah yeah, thank us later by cooking us some marvellous meal or something, but are you coming this afternoon or what?” Niall interrupted impatiently.

“Uh, yeah, I'd love too. Thanks for inviting me.” I answered before falling down in my chair, not exactly knowing what had happened.

Once again, I was pulled out of my thoughts by Niall, noticing only then that I was in fact alone with him in the kitchen, I suppose Liam was getting ready in the bathroom or something like that.

“He's a good lad, you know, Liam. Be careful with'im.” he said softly, his hand on my shoulder, before walking out of the kitchen, leaving me alone with a million thoughts twirling around in my head.