Chapter Thirty-five - Holi-holidays

Liam's POV

Things got remarkably more busy ever since Louis had started combining work and studying, and if we didn't pay enough attention to it, there would be weeks that we'd hardly see each other apart from bedtime and breakfast. It took us a while to adjust to the fact that we all had to do our part in cleaning and cooking again, since we'd been superspoiled by Louis before.

Exams were on their way, and we tried hard to convince our parents that we prefered staying in London for the Holidays, but they insisted we'd stop by for at least one family get together. So that's why we were on the train to Doncaster on Christmas Eve, to celebrate Lou's birthday as well as Christmas with the Tomlinsons. We'd been there a couple of times now, and the entire family had come to London to visit us as well, so if there had been any awkwardness before, it was long gone by now.

We'd both brought some books and notepads to make good use of our time on the train, but I couldn't focus with all the people around us being all elated and in Christmas spirits, so I had put them aside and was looking out the window while the new Ed Sheeran album played on my iPod. It had snowed last week, and the snow was already long gone in London since it wasn't that cold and snow just never lasted long in the city, but out here the fields and hills were still covered in a layer of white. I just loved the snow. It reminded me how lucky we were that I had found Louis that day, over a year ago now, and of our first date when we'd played in the snow.

I turned to look at my boyfriend and smiled at how he was chewing on his pencil. Apparently he did that when he was nervous or concentrating, or both, which was why he never bought any pencils with erasers at the back. Somehow he did succeed in concentrating on his school work, and managed to finish half of his book by the time we arrived in Doncaster. He looked happy, but tired, which was no wonder if you looked at the hours he had spend working and studying lately. I just wished there was a way for him to work less, but he needed the money badly.

Jay was already waiting for us outside the station, in her cute little red car. I always wondered how she managed to squeeze all the girls inside, but somehow she managed. Fizz was waving at us from the passenger seat when we walked up to the car, a moving, singing and lighting santa hat on top of her long hair. I soon learned that Christmas was a very big deal at the Tomlinsons, the entire front yard was filled with Christmas decorations, and right next to the front door was a giant fake snowman with a santa hat on his head, similar to the one that Fizz was wearing. The entire house smelled of cookies, and judging from the twins' faces, there were some with chocolate in them.

All three of the remaining sisters came running up to us and engulfed us in a massive hug, after which I was pretty sure that my face was smeared with chocolate as well. We'd agreed on not buying any Christmas gifts because it would become too expensive otherwise, but Louis hadn't been able to resist buying something small for every one of his sisters and his mum. They were all happy with it and Jay and Lottie put their newly received earrings in immediately, while Fizz ran towards the stereo to put on her new CD. Louis got a new wintercoat and a beautiful scarf for his birthday. I had hinted to Jay that he needed one since the one from last year was completely worn off, and he was too greedy to spend money on a new one. Lottie and Fizz gave him a book and a game for our Playstation and Phoebe and Daisy had made him a small book with drawings and messages for him. They were really the cutest. The last present was one from Jay for the both of us, and it turned out to be a traincard with 10 rides to anywhere in the country, but the message she had included said that she hoped we'd spend it on travels to our families. That was pretty much the only thing we ever took the train for anyway, so it wouldn't be a problem to honour her wish.

Dinner was absolutely delicious, it wasn't hard to see where Louis got his talent for cooking, I don't think Jay ever made something that wasn't great. We could hardly move when it was time to go back to the station, and however four girls with the most adorable puppy faces tried to convince us to stay the night, we did go back home, as we both needed to get up early to study the next morning, before my mum and Ruth would arrive as well as Niall's parents who were flying in from Ireland.  Fizz and Lottie both wanted to come to the station, but one of them had to stay with the twins, so in the end Jay decided Lottie could come since Fizz had come with her to pick us up. It appeared to be pretty hard to get out of the house, three girls clinging to our waist and refusing to let us go. Finally we got into the car to arrive at the train station twenty minutes later. Lottie and Jay both got out of the car to wait for our train to arrive, and Lottie's eyes were glistening with tears as she burried her face into Louis' shoulder. He smiled down at her head of blond hair and pressed a kiss on it before he said we would come back soon. She nodded and wiped her eyes, a tear escaping to roll down her cheek as she came over to me to hug me as well. Saying goodbye had been emotional every time we visited, as they all seemed afraid it would somehow turn out to be a dream or something and they wouldn't see each other again for years. Today was worse than ever before though, probably the added value of the Christmas spirit. I could hardly breathe because of Lottie's tight hug but told her we would see her as soon as our exams ended, since both she and Fizz would come to London to spend the weekend with us. It had taken quite a lot of sweet talking to Jay, but finally she had agreed to it. Our train was announced so I pried Lottie's hands away from my coat before I hugged Jay and told her once again I'd take care of her son, getting on the train with him right before the doors closed.