Chapter Forty - Lilo's happy end

The last chapter guys... But a long one. Only a shorter epilogue to come soon! Picture of their wedding ring on the side, minus the diamonds, but I couldn't find a picture without the women's ring on it :) x

Liam's POV

I looked at Louis and that one look was enough to tell he was nervous as hell. His hands wringing as he couldn't sit still in the terribly uncomfortable plastic chairs in the waiting room. I checked my phone for the time again, but it was hardly 10 minutes later than the last time I checked. He sighed and ran his hands across his face, giving away how tired he was after a long day at work and no sleep since last night. I'd tell him to calm down, but I knew he wouldn't, so I didn't even bother. 

It was the fourth time we sat in Kelly's living room, chatting about nothing much while drinking tea and waiting for her to need to go pee. It almost became a ritual, 16 days after our previous visit here, which was always rather short, we'd come back and wait. We always giggled to no end when we drove here for the short visit, I would drive while Louis held the little plastic container warm in between his legs. It wasn't far, luckily, and we would only ring the bell, give her the container and drive home again to go and bite our nails for two weeks.The nail biting had reached a new high over the last few days. We called Kelly every few days, and she'd said she was feeling tired, and maybe a little nauseous when we spoke yesterday to make arrangements today. 

"Right, be right back guys." she finally said, and Louis nodded, a forced smile etched on his face. It stayed there until Kelly sat back down, the white rectangular test on the coffee table in front of her. The longest five minutes of the entire month had come. Louis was the one to pick it up this time, after his alarm had beeped to indicate the five minutes were over. I didn't look, not wanting to see all my hope crushed again, and I felt my heart sink when he didn't speak for what seemed like ages.

"Liam? Do you see a line too or am I just delusional?" I never moved my hand as fast as I did right then, grabbing the test from him and studying it closely, even if it wasn't exactly necessary to look really close. There were two pink lines, one a little darker than the other, but not too much.

My throat closed up completely, disabling my speech so I just nodded before I handed the test to Kelly and threw my arms around Louis, practically choking him. We were having a baby. 

Confirmation followed a week later when Kelly went to the doctor's for a bloodtest, and two weeks after that, we stood next to her, our gazes fixed on the black and white screen while the gynaecologist talked with Kelly. We didn't even hear what he said, we were too busy trying to make sense of what we saw, which was pretty hard. Finally the doctor explained what there was to see and a tear rolled over my cheek when he turned up the volume for us to hear the rapid thumping of the baby's heart. Our baby's heart. 

Louis' POV

I didn't get how Liam could be this calm. I hardly got how he stayed so sensible and relaxed on our wedding day, while my sisters drove me crazy by running around and disturbing my zen-bubble. There was no way I would ever manage to even create a zen-bubble now. Not in the hospital with it's foul smell and the never ceasing noises. I just wished the nurse would call us back into the room already. I heaved yet another sigh and looked down at my hand, grabbing the matted golden band between thumb and index finger so I could turn it around my finger, a nervous habit I'd picked up ever since our wedding day.

My mum was smiling brightly from the other side of the room. She'd just walked in, together with Lottie and Fizz and I could tell her eyes were moist. I groaned. "Mum, please don't cry."