Chapter Thirty-seven - Stuck in the middle

Liam's POV

I was propped up on the couch, under one of our fluffy blankets, stroking it mindlessly while I watched a lousy comedy, waiting for any of my roommates to return. There had been an enormous amount of work waiting for me from the past week, but I just didn't feel like marking tests or grading papers tonight. Louis was working late shifts this week, so he wouldn't be home before 9.30, and I didn't exactly remember where Harry and Niall went. I think I heard them say something about Harry's mum being in town, so I supposed they were with her, hopefully finally setting a date for their marriage. They'd been engaged for almost three months and even though they kept on telling everyone they didn't want to wait too long before tying the knot, they still hadn't decided on a date. 

Secretly, I was quite happy with it though, because as long as they weren't actually married, they'd probably stay and live here with us. I'd never admit it, but it would be quiet around here without them, I'd miss being around Niall, we had lived together ever since we started college and it would be weird when he left. 

The movie was so bad that I contemplated doing some work after all, but I was rescued from my own dilemma by a key turning in the lock and Niall and Harry's happy chatter in the hallway. 

"Hey Li!" Niall greeted, followed by Harry who just waved cheerily before they went into the kitchen. 

"You want a cup of tea as well Liam?" Harry asked as his head popped around the doorway.

"Yeah, that'd be great, thanks."

I warmed my hands around the warm cup Harry handed to me before he sat down in the armchair, watching Niall as he shoved my legs out of the way to take a seat on the couch next to me. 

"When's Louis going to be home Li?" Niall asked, sipping his tea while he waited for me to answer. I checked my phone for the time before I replied.

"At least another hour, but he had to work an extra hour yesterday, so I'm not sure."

"Oh."

"Why? You need him?" I lifted an eyebrow, curious why Niall sounded so disappointed about Louis being at work.

"Yeah, no, just... Just wanted to talk to him. But I suppose I can talk to you too."

"Niall!" Harry said sternly and eyed Niall warningly.

"Uh, guys, what's going on?"

"Niall, come on, we've discussed this."

I looked from Harry to Niall who were now having a staring competition, unsure about what was going on. "Did you guys finally decide on a wedding date or something?" I asked, wondering why they would make such a big fuss about that.

"No, it's no big deal, we'll just wait until Louis arrives, it's fine." Harry quickly replied and smiled as Niall gave up staring and huffed at his boyfriend. They were probably just acting weird again.

We watched a reasonably funny talkshow together, but since Louis called at 9.30 that he wouldn't get off work anytime soon, and the three of us had to work early in the morning, we all called it a night an hour later. 

Louis was still sound asleep when I woke up, but it was finally Friday and we'd have the weekend to spend together, so I was pretty happy, especially when I found Lou's note that he wouldn't have to work today because of all the extra time he'd done this week, so he'd come and pick me up from school tonight.

 We dropped off my bag at home but Louis stopped me from flopping down on the couch and told me to go shower and dress nicely because he had made dinner reservations for us.