Chapter Twenty-nine - Struggle

Harry's POV

It broke my heart to hear Liam sobbing in the backseat of my car. He was always the strong one out of all of us, and now he was broken. If I had to make a comparison, I'd go for a small bird that had fallen out of the nest, trying to fly but failing because of broken wings and just not knowing how to do it. Niall and I exchanged a few looks through the rearview mirror, and I could tell he was lost as well. He had taken up this role once before, when Nicola died, and he didn't want to do this again. Nobody had expected this. And what was worse: nobody knew what was waiting for us in that hospital. We were lucky enough for traffic to have died down a bit and we reached the hospital twenty nerve wracking minutes later. The parking lot was full due to visiting hours having started, so I just let Liam and Niall out near the entrance to the emergency room and drove off to find a parking space.

Five minutes later I told the tired looking lady behind the glass wall that I came for Louis Tomlinson so she'd let me inside the ER. She told me the others were in the waiting room, and pointed me to the small secluded area. Niall smiled a bit when he saw me coming in, and took his arm from Liam's back. I wasn't sure if Liam noticed though, as he was still sobbing violently on Libby's shoulder. Niall walked up to me and spoke fast but quietly.

"He's been hit by a car that came out of nowhere, according to Libby. She's seen all of it, apparently it was quite a blow. He's in the trauma room, still, we don't know anything else. They wouldn't tell Libby and nobody came out since we've been here." 

I put my arm around his shoulder and squeezed his upper arm as we walked towards the others, taking a seat next to Liam. Libby, Carl and I exchanged quick hello's but there was nothing more to say. It was easy to tell we were all thinking the same thing. Hoping that Lou would be okay. Niall's head rested on my shoulder as a young woman came into the waiting room. Her hair was pulled up in a bouncy pony tail, and I was sure she would be very pretty in normal clothes and without the dark circles beneath her eyes. 

"Has mister Tomlinson's family arrived already?" she asked, looking around the room to all of us as well as to another family that sat on the other side of the room. 

"This is his boyfriend." I answered quietly, gesturing towards Liam who was wiping his tears from his eyes.

"Okay. My name is doctor Verster, I'm an anesthesiologist in this hospital and I work at the emergency room as well. You can come with me sir."

"Can my friends come too, please?" Liam managed to bring out. I could hear his voice breaking and it was easy to tell he didn't want to be alone in there.

"Just one other, I'm really sorry about that, but the trauma room is too small for more visitors."

I exchanged a look with Niall and nodded at him when he asked wordlessly if he should go. I gave him a quick kiss to let him know that I was there for him before I let go of his hand to join Liam at the side of the doctor in her green stained clothes. I didn't want to think about the source of those stains. Was that Louis' blood on her abdomen?

Niall's POV

I really didn't want to be the one to come along with Liam right now. But I knew I had to. I was the one he needed right now, I knew him best, I'd seen him facing drama before. I grabbed his hand as the doctor guided us to a small room, only four dirty looking chairs and a small coffee table in there, and asked us to sit down.

"I'd like to give you a small update on mister Tomlinson's condition before I take you to him. It's been quite a blow, he has major bruising all over his body and we feared he had a severe injury at his heart, but that has been solved by now. We'll have to monitor his heart and keep a close look on him to make sure there's no internal bleeding. He is in a medication induced coma right now, to make sure his body gets some rest from all the stress that the pain would be causing. We'll probably be waking him up at sometime tomorrow, if he stays stable."