Chapter twenty-two - Camping trip

Liam's POV

"Harry, are we there yet? I'm bored!" Niall whined, ignoring the daggers shot at him by everyone surrounding him, including Zayn, Helen and Louis, and even some people we didn't know. I chuckled at Harry's desperate expression. Maybe I should've warned the rest of us about Niall's inability to deal with long trips. I remembered going with him on a trip to his family in Ireland, by train and ferry, and it had been the same. He had been going on like this for at least four hours straight, since we had transferred stations in Paris. Good thing we only had two more hours to go before our arrival in Marseille, although it seemed pretty hard to even survive those at this moment. Or make sure that Niall survived them. 

Helen had finally produced some comics from her backpack, which kept Niall busy for at least an hour, and gave the rest of us some time to relax. Louis fell asleep against the window, Zayn and Helen were chatting amongst each other, her legs laying on his lap while Harry's head rested on Niall's shoulder, reading a book about photography. I put my head back on the seat, music blasting into my ears. My eyes wandered outside, glancing at the landscape that shot by fastly. It seemed still hot outside, even though it was almost 5pm, no cloud in sight. I smiled at the thought of two entire weeks of holiday. It was going to be marvellous. Harry, Zayn and I had spoken a bit on the train to Paris this morning, and we had agreed to make sure each of us would have some alone time with their boy- or girlfriend. It was the first time any of us went on holiday with three couples, so it seemed best to lay down some ground rules, to which we all quickly agreed. 

The familiar ding dong sounded through the train, followed by an artificial sounding woman's voice who announced something in French. It went too fast for me to understand completely, especially through my music, but I could make out the word 'Marseille'. My head shot up, and my eyes were met with those of the others, a smile on all of our faces and our eyes twinkling. I shook Louis' shoulder to wake him up, it took him a few seconds to pick up on the situation, but his expression soon mirrored ours. We gathered our luggage, Niall his guitar case, each of us a large bag or suitcase, a backpack and  three of us a tent. It had been a struggle to get all of it on our train in Paris, since we had to take a taxi to another train station, but somehow we had managed, and the only thing left was get all of it into the rental car. 

We got off the train, together with lots of other people, and breathed in the hot dry air. When we left the platform, we decided that Louis and I would go and look for the car rental office, while the rest of the group waited with the luggage in the entrance hall. 

Louis spotted the yellow sign and took my hand in his when we walked over there. I smiled at him, happy we were finally here, and the smile that crossed his lips was enormous. My insides squirmed with anticipation for what was about to come. I filled in the paperwork as the lady behind the counter went to copy Louis' drivers license, he would be the one driving as Harry wasn't old enough for a rental car and the rest of us didn't have a license anyway. She came back with a car key that she handed over to Lou. I gave her my credit card to charge, and we were finally ready to go. She explained us where to find the car in her awful English, but I didn't dare to laugh as my French was probably even worse. Louis and I thanked her and walked out the door of the office. As soon as we stepped out into the hall, Louis let out a loud cheer and ran up to the rest of the group, dangling the keys in front of their faces. The holiday had begun.

That night, when we all finally laid in our beds in the youth hostel we had booked for the first night, not wanting to have to drive around after our long day of travelling in search for a campsite, I turned to my side to face Louis and kiss his lips. He kissed me back and opened his mouth to say something, when a stifled moan sounded through our shared room. I'd recognise that voice everywhere. Niall.