Chapter Thirthy-six - Changes

Four years later...

Liam's POV

I sat on our living room table, reading through the essays my students had handed in yesterday, and I had promised them to have them graded by Monday. Louis was in the spare bedroom, studying for his final exams and Niall and Harry were out, somewhere. 

I sighed as I corrected three spelling mistakes in the first sentence and decided I needed another cupcake to be able to continue my work. At times like these I really wondered why on earth becoming a teacher had seemed like a good thing. At least there were enough great kids in my classes to remind me of the good side of it, if I was honest, I really enjoyed teaching, the interaction with 14 to 16 year olds was fun and I loved it how they hated English and history in the beginning of the year but became more and more interested in it throughout the year. I took a bite of one of Louis' red velvet cupcakes and couldn't suppress a moan as the chocolate melted on my tongue. 

I loved how he used baking and cooking as a way to relieve his stress from college, and since he had quit his job at the bakery because I made enough money to provide for the both of us, he was forced to do it at home. Not that any of us complained though, there was at least one dessert ready to be eaten when the three of us came home from work, and most of the time dinner was already prepared and only had to be heated by whoever felt like it. 

I was reading the last history essay, it was from one of the top students of my class and I had saved it for last to make sure I'd be ending my grading session on a happy note. Most of the papers were reasonably good, so all in all I was happy with the work my class had delivered. I heard a key turning in the front door lock and soon after the hallway was filled with Niall and Harry's talking while they took off their shoes and coats. It was pretty cold outside, so they were pulling off their warm jumpers when they walked into the living room, flopping down on the couch, Harry resting his head on Niall's lap as his legs hung over the armrest.

"Hey Li!" Niall chirped. "How's the grading going?"

"Hello lovebirds." I smiled at their cute display of affection. "It's okay, they did reasonably well this time."

"Ugh, I'm still glad I quit teaching after three months. I'd pick working at the office over standing in front of a class anyday."

"I know, and I'm sure the kids prefer you there as well." I teased before I wrote down the grade on the paper and in my grade book and joined them in the armchair. 

"Did you hear from Phoebe?" Harry asked, turning around so his head was still in Niall's lap but he was now facing me.

"Yeah, Jay called this morning. She should be good to get out of the hospital after the weekend, but she's supposed to stay inside for a little bit after cause her immune system is still deprived. But everything looks good, she's probably in the safe zone now."

"Poor kid." Niall mused, biting his bottom lip "How's Louis doing now?"

"Better now that he knows she'll be fine. He had a hard time focusing on his books before, but he's been studying ever since you two left today, so I think he's okay."

The last few months had been pretty rough. It had been the week after New Years when Jay had called us and asked to come back home. Louis had argued that his exams were coming up so he needed to study, but Jay had insisted, so we went, sensing that it was something serious. Phoebe hadn't been feeling well for a couple of weeks when we saw them at Christmas, but everyone assumed that it was the aftermath of her starting high school and her tiredness would disappear over the holidays. Except it didn't, and eventually Jay had taken her to the doctor's, and the results weren't pretty.