Chapter Seventeen - meeting the Paynes

Louis's POV

“Turn left over there at the gas station, and then it's the third house at the right side.”

I felt my insides squirm at the thought of almost arriving at Liam's house. Even though he had assured me about seventy times in the last twenty minutes that his mum would love me and that she knew a little bit about my past but she would definitely support me, I was still scared shitless. I had never been through this before. Yes, I had a girlfriend or two in high school (not at the same time, mind you) but I knew both of them since preschool or at least elementary school, and their mothers knew me for at least 5 years before we got together. Now I had never met mrs. Payne before, and the only thing she knew about me was that I used to be a drug addict. How could I not be nervous about this? I parked the car and took a deep breath before turning off the motor and pulling the key out of the ignition.

“Louis, it will be fine, I promise. The worst that can happen is my mum crushing you in one of her hugs.” Liam said reassuringly as he put his hand on my arm. “Stop worrying baby, let's go in.”

I nodded, afraid that I would throw up if I tried to speak.

Liam opened his door and walked around the car to open mine, taking my hand to force me out of the car.

The front door of the house that Liam guided me to opened as soon as we walked up the path through the small front garden, revealing a brown haired woman who reminded me of Liam immediately, even more when she cracked a smile at us. Liam smiled back at her and gave her a quick hug and a kiss before she turned her gaze at me.

“You must be Louis then. I’m happy to finally meet you. Come on in you two, Ruth and I have been waiting to have lunch.” She patted my arm before she put hers around my shoulder, leading us inside.

“Hey there little brother!” A pretty looking girl said as we walked into the cosy living room. “Hello, I'm Ruth.” she greeted me with a smile.

“Louis.” I managed to bring out, relieved I didn't puke on her red ballerina's as I did so.

Liam's POV

I felt as if a large rock had been lifted off my shoulders once we had driven off at the cemetery. I had told her I had moved on, and it really felt like it for the first time in three years. I allowed myself to be truly happy with Louis and I somehow got rid of the ever present guilt that had been eating away on my insides ever since that dreadful day.

I glanced at Louis as he drove us to my mother's house, his face getting paler, even a slight hint of green with every turn we took.

I tried to reassure him, but he didn't seem to trust me fully and I had to pull him out of the car when we were finally parked.

My mum already walked out before we had the chance to ring the bell, she had probably been on the look out ever since I had texted her that we were 20 minutes away.

She hugged me quickly before greeting Louis, luckily understanding that she'd best keep a little distance and not smothering him with her hugs and kisses. She steered us inside to be met by Ruth, who left the salad bowl that she had just grabbed from the living room cupboard on the table to say her hello's. Louis finally managed to open his mouth, gaining a little confidence when he didn't throw up where he stood.

Mum and Ruth ushered outside to the backyard, where I could see the set table, filled with my mums delicious cooking.

“Lou, please, relax.” I told him as I turned around before following them out. “They like you, they really do. And they don't give a shit about your past. They're just happy about me being happy, and me being happy is all because of you.”