Chapter six - Defining

Dedicated to 1DLightsUpMyWorld for making me the new cover! Thx!

Liam's POV

He surprised me with his kiss. But I went with it. Not only because I liked it, but it felt like he needed something out of that kiss. I couldn't bring myself to pull away, or to stop moving my lips against his. It wasn't filled with passion, it was sweet and comforting, somehow. Maybe that was what he was looking for, comfort.

It was only when Niall came home, slamming the door behind him that I came to my senses. We both pulled back at the same time, our faces equally flushed as Niall stuck his head around the corner of the living room door.

“Hey guys. Just came home to get a change of clothes. Going clubbin' with Harry and Zayn. Don't wait up for me.”

“Have fun Ni!” I replied. “Are you...”

“Yes Liam, I'm going to college tomorrow, don't worry, I won't waste my chance on a proper education.” he yelled back, already on his way to his bedroom. Louis chuckled lightly at that, making a flutter arise in my chest. At least he was smiling again.

We just laid there, not daring to look each other in the eyes, but not wanting to let each other go either, waiting for the front door to close again, signalling Niall had left.

“Listen Lou, I'm...”

“Shhh.” he cut me off, putting his finger on my lips. “I don't know what this was, and at this moment I refuse to break my head over it, okay? I just know it felt good, and I needed it to feel better. So thanks.”

I nodded, a bit overwhelmed with the intense look in his still moist blue eyes.

Nothing much changed over the next two or three weeks, apart from his appearance. He looked healthier, not as tired and he smiled a lot more, obviously feeling more comfortable around the four of us. The second time Zayn had been over to our flat, he had pulled me into the kitchen, questioning if Zayn knew about his past. I told him I had never thought it necessary to tell him, since he was taking a new start anyway. He just nodded, his eyes a bit moist before pulling me into a warm hug and whispering a small thank you.

We woke up together almost every morning, no matter if we went to bed separately. I didn't always notice him crawling into my bed, but I always woke up in his warm embrace, our legs entangled.

 Louis' POV

I didn't feel like trying to get to sleep in my own room tonight, since I never succeeded anyway, and if I did, I would wake up after a few hours. Whenever I slept on my own, I would dream about heroin, about the things I'd done to get it or the things I knew I had lost forever by taking that road. I didn't wake Liam up any more before crawling into his bed. I would just lift his cover and slip underneath, and as soon as I laid my head on his pillow, his arm would slip around my waist, pulling me close to him. We hadn't kissed again. I had said I didn't want to break my head over it, and I tried real hard to stick with that. But I still felt the same way when he watched me, or smiled at me, or pulled me close, either consciously, or while sleeping. I felt safe with him, more than ever.

I had noticed how he looked at me sometimes, when he thought I didn't see. Or how he stroked my hair in the morning, thinking I was still asleep. I saw Niall or Harry smirk knowingly as Liam and I cuddled up on the couch while watching a movie, or just talking. We talked mostly about his life, about college, his family, high school. I didn't feel ready yet to talk about my past, afraid I wouldn't be able to stay strong if I told it.