XXVII

It took Calum nearly a week to decide what he was going to do, but in the end he felt that he made the right decision. Cassie had just been released from the hospital and she was wondering why none of the boys had been in to visit her. She got in a cab and gave the driver the address to Calum's mansion. She got out of the cab when it arrived and paid the driver. She walked up to the house and frowned as she noticed none of the lights were on. She pushed the door open slowly. "Calum?" She called out, to no response. She looked around the house, noticing the entire place was empty. "Calum?!" She called out again. She walked out of the house and checked the garage. Also empty. She hailed another cab and rode to the office, hoping to find Calum there. She walked into the building, surprised to see no employees and all the desks had been moved out. She rode the elevator up to Calum's floor. She walked to his office and stood in the doorway, watching him pack up his things. "You're leaving?" She finally spoke.

"Cassie.." Calum sighed, looking at her.

"What's going on, Calum?" She asked, stepping closer to him. "First, you don't visit me at all in the hospital. Second, you move literally everything out of the house. Now, you're packing up your office?"

"Did I do something wrong here?" Cassie asked, tears of anger and frustration filling her eyes.

"No, this has nothing to do with you." Calum sighed. "I'm doing this for your safety."

"Bullshit." Cassie laughed dryly. "If this was for me, I'd at least know what was happening."

"I couldn't tell you. It wasn't safe to talk to you. Richard could always be watching you and if something happened to you because of me, I wouldn't be able to live with myself."

"Too late, Calum. Something did happen to me. I was stabbed and almost died. The right thing to do was stay by my side. There was no reason for you to leave with no explanation."

"I can't give you what you need, Cassie." Calum sighed. "I love you, so much. I love you to the ends of the earth, but me being here with you is just too dangerous."

"That's such bullshit! Why are you running away from love? What the hell are you so scared of? You're just walking away when you've had enough. I'm tired of trying to get to you. You'd rather leave us both heartbroken than work together to get through this?"

"You'll never understand why I'm doing this." Calum shook his head. "I'm so fucking in love with you, Cassie. I can't stay with you and watch Richard tear you apart. The only way for you to stay safe is for me to leave."

"That's not the solution, Calum!" Cassie threw her hands up in exasperation. "If you really loved me, you wouldn't care of the dangers. You'd do it because you want to be with me."

"No, Cassie! I can't stay with you when I know you're in danger! It's my fault you got stabbed at the party and I still haven't forgiven myself for not noticing your absence sooner. I made a promise to protect you and I'm going to keep my promise, even if that means leaving."

"Next time you find I'm in danger, do us both a favor: don't try and help." Cassie shook her head and walked out of the office, tears continuing to stream down her cheeks. Calum sighed and sat down in his chair, putting his face in his hands.