Chapter 3: My 1st Day Of Work (Scarlett)

Scarlett

(Past)

I strolled down the monstrous hill. As much as I hated moving to this stupid island the views were decent so I guessed I could deal with that. I had a job at least, that meant my own money. I didn't know what I could do with it. There was barely anything to do here. At least I had a summer away from Mom and Simon. The 'newlyweds'.

The hill that lead into town reminded me of that old saying my dad used to say about walking in the snow to school up hill both ways. Even though that was impossible, it was my dad and his weird sense of humor. I missed that. Simon didn't have that. Simon hated everything I did. He would even lie to mom about me. I was just thankful I was going off to college at the end of the summer, I knew he was going to kick me out when I turned eighteen, and my mom was going to let him. He did the same thing to my brother and he didn't even go to college. He had to move in with friends back in Georgia. Crappy friends at that.

That was why I needed to have a job. I thought about moving out before that happened.I decided that I needed to save up. I finally got to the restaurant, sucked in a heavy salt laced breath, and prepared myself t act like a social butterfly, even though I didn't feel it. My stomach turned thinking about seeing my boss again. Something about him made my hair stand up and my heart race, and either way, I needed to avoid those feelings like I needed to avoid him. Not that he seemed like a bad guy, he was just too touchy for my taste. The personal space line was crossed and I didn't say anything, I wondered if I should have. I would have hated to have to worry about sexual harassment. Though I didn't get that vibe, I could never be too sure.

"Hey girl." I looked up to find my neighbor a cheerful blond, that liked to talk...mostly about herself. But she was a friend none the less and I had her to thank for getting me a job, as well as something to do for the summer. She had come out from behind the bar with a over-sized T-shirt with a small name white tag on it. I took it and studied my name. "Scar." Just like he'd promised. I ran my fingers over the the divots in the small plastic badge that spelled my name.

"You can go in the bathroom to change, she pointed toward the other side of the room, "And hurry up, we're about to open."

I nodded. Wondering if she was a shift manager or something, because she already seemed to be bossing me around.I guess it didn't matter, she was probably going to train me, which was even better. The less close I had to work with my 'hands on boss' the better.

I studied myself in the mirror. I tied the side of my shirt because it was just too big. I was hoping it was in dress code to do that, but then again, the boss had on a pair of cargo shorts and tank top. He was also covered in tattoos. It could have been just me, but I had noticed a hole in his lip. Where a lip ring should have been as well as a few holes in his ears. I couldn't help but wonder what else was pierced. He was the type of guy that held his gaze a little to long. Like to the point of awkwardness and I couldn't figure out what else to say. I mean his eyes were like staring into an endless ocean. It was like a sea shell for the eyes. His eyes were the exact shade of blue as the calm shallow ocean, and the way they looked under his hooded eyes made them sparkle like the waves before sunset.

I shook it off. I needed to focus on my summer job, and staying off his and everybody else's radar until college started in the fall. That was my goal.

I blew out a breath and headed out the door. That was when I noticed a tall busty blond sitting at the bar. Her hair was platinum hanging down her back, and her breast were literally busting out of her shirt. She stared at her bright red fingers. Her ridiculously long lashes hung over her cheeks.

Brittany put on my apron which again made me nervous. The personal space, apparently people on the island didn't know too much about it. I tried not to make a big deal. We had a couple waiting at the table and a few other groups.