Chapter 12: My 18th Birthday (Scarlett)

(Past)

Scarlett

"Seriously, Brit. This is all really expensive." I looked around behind the spa chairs and there was an array of bags. I didn't even know the island had a mall. Not that I was ever a mall person, but you would have thought Britt, Tiff, and I were the three shopping amigos in a Hollywood teen movie or were going to the prom. I guess that made this okay, since I had to miss mine because of the move. It wasn't like my mom cared. I kept telling myself to sit back and enjoy this, but Brit had the credit card and was going swipe crazy.

"Please, it's the company expense." She sat back and relaxed in the massaging chair flipping the shiny black card in her fingertips. "Don't...worry about it."

The nail technical rolled her thumb over the dip in my foot sending a pleasure pulse up my leg. "Mphh!"

"I know right?" Cooed Tiff.

"Consider it a thank you, from Mr. Walker himself for having us be on our feet for so long." Brit giggled, "Well some of us."

I looked over at Brit defensively.

"Britt!"

Her eyes widened. "What? Nobody's judging her."

"Judging me about what?" I snapped.

Her eyes got even wider."Look...I..." He blew out a nose breath, "All I'm saying is," She sat up and looked at Tiff than at me, "Tiff and I have known Troy for a long time, and he's a good guy, for the most part but he's never done anything like this before."

My eyebrow twitched. "Anything like what?"

"Give us the company credit card and ask us to show you a good time around town." She shrugged softly as if trying to soften the blow of what she was saying, "We were just wondering..."

"Wondering what?"

"Nothing." Tiff's eyes snapped at Britt angrily.

"What, he's been spending a lot of time with her."

"Look, I'm not like that."

"Come on, I mean, it's not like he'd go for me because of Zeke and the 'bro-code'" She flicked her hand over to Tiff, "Tiff and Eddie have been together since they were in diapers. Face it by default you're a target

The thought itself made me cringe. "What about Heather?"

The two girls on each side of me looked at each other with matching amused smiles.

"Please. Who hasn't had Heather." Said Britt.

I slid my bottom lip between my teeth. Why had I been so blind?

"Just enjoy the pampering." Britt leaned back as the technician massaged her hand.

"I'm not going to sleep with him," I blurted.

"Nobody's saying you have to sleep with him." Tiff said, "Just you know, make him think he has a chance."

I shook my head. I wasn't going to be that kind of person. I hated the thought of Troy using me like that. It was like everything he said about demanding respect was game. I didn't want to think that way, but it made sense. This was a small town, the guy liked women, he liked to fish, and he liked a challenge. I was his challenge. His Moby Dick. I felt like the biggest idiot to not see it before. I was ready to go to the restaurant and quit.

I felt a hand brush up against mine causing me to jump. "Scar, look Troy has always been a decent boss. I mean, he's a player, but he's understanding. Just be upfront with him."