Chapter 15: I Wish I Had A River (To Fall Through) (Troy)

Troy

(Present)

I had to go back in there. I'd be a selfish shit if I didn't. I couldn't let Mrs. Denison down. I expected the same kid to be waiting there for me after leaving abruptly but she was sitting with two girls. The smaller one in her lap and the other standing on the side of her. She was so much better at this than me. I think to my self. I just muscle the rest of the the line, and think I'm home free. I left out of the front having to make a big scene with Mrs. Denison. We walked out the front door and I bumped right into her.

I just say "Merry Christmas," deeply, playing the role and walk away, but her eyes were big with recognition. I power walked out the door not thinking she would follow me. What reason would she have to? She had her husband, I was just some idiot from her past that let her go.

"Troy."

Her voice rattled through me and froze my feet to the floor. Why did she still have that effect on me. I just stood there. I couldn't turn I couldn't look at her, I couldn't face what she was doing to me. Her and her husband.

She come around and looked at me. Her big brown eyes searching mine ripping my my heart in half. I swallowed deeply.

"Troy." She repeated again.

My eyes fell. "Hey Scar."

It she just stood there. That was when a song played over the intercom, which was ironically my favorite Christmas song."I Wish I Had A River" I did the stupidest thing I could think of. I took her by the hand, and led her to the middle of the, floor. The surprising thing she didn't pull away not even the slightest bit, not even when I pulled her in my arms. Her body melted to mine as if no time was lost between us. It was like my heart remembered, it was all instinct. My body rocked her in my arms while my brain screamed at me, reminding me what her and her husband were doing to me. Her head rested on my shoulder as one hand clasped hers, and the other circled her. I wanted the song to last forever, so I didn't have to face the truth. I wished I could have taken off the Santa beard so I could nuzzle her I loved how she smelled like a candy cane and if that didn't put me in the Christmas spirit the silk red dress that hugged her curves perfectly did the trick. I wanted to pull her in my arms and put her under my tree, and by tree, I meant bed. I wanted to keep her, but she had a husband, they had a daughter. This was just a Christmas charity, probably a tactic to get me to sell. I didn't care, now I would live the dream. That would be my Christmas present to myself.

Then the song was over and her eyes found mine again. I swallowed. "Hey Scar." Was all that came out.

She smiled, looking just as beautiful as it did all those years ago. "Hey Troy."

"How are you?"

Her pink rose in her cheeks, "Good.I like the look. Festive. "

"It's not too much?"

She giggled, "No, but I think I look like the mistress of Santa Claus."

I laughed looking around and then remembering her husband that was when I noticed him coming in

"Scarlett, you didn't tell me you knew, Mr. Walker." He smiled ear to ear as if it didn't matter his wife was in my arms. I pulled away from Scar on my own. They were my enemies.

"We're old friends." My sight trailed from him to her. I didn't know where their daughter was and I didn't care.

"Oh, good you two have met." I looked up and saw Zeke coming in our direction. It was as if the sky opened up and said 'fuck you'.

I looked at my three conspirators. "Okay what's going on here."

"I think we should all go somewhere and discuss this." Said Scar's husband.

"No!" I snapped, "Apparently, I'm the only one who doesn't know what's going on. Somebody tell me something." I looked around I could care less that we were in a crowded room.

Zeke rested his arm on my shoulder and it already made my blood boil. "Mr. Fredricks in my business partner. We figured out a way to use my fame to help the island bring in business."

I looked from Zeke to Scar's husband. I pushed Zeke's hand off of me. That was it. "You're not my brother anymore." I said and then walked out the door into the night. Zeke had fucked me over for the last time. I couldn't believe he would do this to our mother. He was just as big a shit, a I thought. And her. The devil's advocate. I wished she had never walked into my restaurant.

Everything I had ever thought about love was wrong. Even Lea didn't fuck me like this, and I didn't get so much as a kiss. I didn't get so much as a warning. Not even from my so-called brother. They were trying to take everything I had left. The might has well have brought knives and literally stabbed me with them, because that would be the only way I would give up my home and my business, over my dead body, and they'd only be finishing what they all started.

I needed to be numb tonight. I needed somewhere to pass out drunk and delirious.

I parked in the parking lot of my restaurant. It was dark and quiet and perfect. This was my everything and would never betray me. I unlocked the door let myself in, and went to the bar. I wasn't going to drink from the inventory, although the way I felt it was tempting. I just grabbed a glass, and shut myself in my office to get the bottle of whiskey I kept in my office drawer.

I pulled it open and set it on my desk but there was a piece of paper connected to it. I pulled it off and studied it. It was as if the world couldn't possibly deal me a bigger fuck you, it was her letter she sent me from college. It wasn't even open. I didn't see a reason. Just so I could hear how she was doing without me. How great college was. It was probably a good-bye. It had to be, no other letters came after it. Not that I expected it.

I filled the glass halfway, pulled down my beard and knocked it back in one gulp. Letting it burn down my throat. I heard a the chime of the door opening, with my luck it was probably a robber, here to shoot me a take everything I had, but then again that would have been too easy.