Chapter 17: His Shining Moment (Scarlett)

Scarlett

(Past)

I had lived in a few rough areas after my dad died. This was just ridiculous. When people said crime didn't sleep, I guessed they were talking about this motel. A lady outside my window was discussing a business deal was a prospect. Another guy, was trying to settle a financial dispute, and a physical altercation occurred. When sirens weren't ringing out, gun shots did. I brought my knees to my chest feeling the warm in my eyes.

I didn't even have a change of clothes, and I left my birthday dress in Troy's dryer, and I wasn't about to ask him for it. He could have it for all I cared. I just needed to ask if someone could take me to the store after work.

I heard a rumble in the pit of my stomach and I remembered I didn't eat lunch. I was not going to go out there and look for some place to eat. This had become a big mess and I didn't know who to call. At least someone that understand.

"Come on, fellas break it up."

I heard an officer say hopefully to the pack of shadows outside my window. I blew out a slow soothing breath, but I knew I still wasn't getting any sleep tonight.

There was a swifted knock at my door that made my heart thump harder against my chest. Panic raged through me. I wanted to ignore it. It was either a police officer asking if I heard I saw something. I didn't, nor would I say I did.

The knock was incessant. I slid out of bed walking across the sticky carpet. I put the chain up, slowly unlocking the door and then carefully opening the door as far as the chain would allow. I clear shade a of blue sent a shock through me. And a pair of soft-looking lips revealing the warmest smile. The scent of his cologne mix with a salty, herbally scent that made my stomach rumble again. My eyes trailed down his muscular tattooed arm that hooked a bag, I assumed was the source of the food smell.

"I couldn't stay away." His deep voice said softly.

My heart warmed and my bottom lip dribbled. I wanted to fling open the door and bury myself in his arms. He was truly a tattooed knight in shining armor. I closed the door undoing the the chair and opening the door, propping myself against it calmly. My eyes found his.

Then he leaned against the frame lifting the bag with a smile. "A peace offering."

"Come on in." I offered flicking on the light.

"Thank you.

I gave the parking lot the once over before closing the door behind him. He was setting my food on my small table as I looked up.

"Troy, you didn't have to..."

"I wanted to." He smiled, "Look, I don't always admit when I'm wrong. I've been told I'm a little thick-headed."

I giggled. "A little?"

I had to admit late dinner with Troy was good, except for having him watch me. I knew I was stuffing my face. I was starved.

I covered my mouth. "Can you eat."

He picked through his sweet and sour chicken. "I'm sorry, you're just cute when you eat."

I rolled my eyes.

"You probably tell all of your waitresses that."

"I don't." He smiled, "And maybe I shouldn't have just then."

"My dad used to say your first mind is usually your right one."

He shook his head. "I don't know about that."

My eyebrow quirked. "Why?"

I he let out a soft chuckle.

My cheeks warmed as I smiled. "What are your first thoughts? I want to know."

He blew out a breath. "My first thoughts about me?"

"To pick you up whether you want to or not and take you back to my house."

I giggled as my stomach fluttered. "Wow! Your first mine is a caveman."

He laughed, "I just want you away from here."

"You really don't like it here?" I said.

"You're an adult." He shrugged almost coldly.

"You must really care about me."

"I care about all my employees."

That was a punch in my gut. I didn't want it to be. "I'm just an employee." I tried to make it sound like a joke.

His eyes found mine and he looked at me blankly. His lip twitched. "No. You're my friend too. More of a reason I want you safe."

My eyes fell to the table. "So I guess you're staying the night."

He chuckled again. "Wasn't planning to. I was going to sleep in my truck."

I looked up at him searching his eyes wondering if he was serious. "Really? Why?"

He picked up a napkin and balled it in his fingers."It's not obvious by now?" There was almost no emotion in his voice, but was as if he was trying to tell me he liked me, but far be it for him to show any real emotion, I thought. "I care what happens to you."

"I care about all of your employees." I repeated. "You don't have to come to my rescue all the time Troy. I can take care of myself."

"Everyone needs a little help sometimes." Troy said, "Nothing wrong with that."

I thought a moment about his comment. I didn't like the idea of him thinking that I need my hand held here.

"For the record, I think you're tougher than people think you are."

"People?"

His lip twitched. "Okay. Me. The comment I made about you being a spoiled brat." He chuckled, "I shouldn't have made a snap judgment. I don't know what's going on, and you don't have to tell me anything. I was wrong."

"What I said, too."

"I'm not going to say you're completely wrong, but it made me look at somethings." He said, "I guess no one ever put it like that before, and I got a little defensive. I guess I was the immature one."

"I'm sure that doesn't happen often." I teased.

"Really? You're going to bust my balls now?" He laughed.

"Someone should." I smiled, "You like the prodigal son here.You do no wrong."

"I wouldn't say that." He smiled.

There was just a bed in the room and Troy lied on the floor. Just having him in the room changed the entire feeling in the room. I felt safe. I couldn't believe he actually came in the middle of the night. I was more expecting Nick than Troy. Troy was wrong about him being like Zeke or the town thinking he was some playboy. I knew this wasn't about sleeping with me. This was concerned and what he showed me on his boat. That he was deep and caring and protective of those he cared about, including me. That was just what I needed right now...no more, no less. 

I still wasn't able to sleep so we stayed up and talked. I even made some confessions I never told anyone. I talked about my dad, how I felt about my mom, and her 'relationships' and shutting out her kids. Troy was great listener and an ever better friend.