Chapter 19: The Night I Faced The Truth (Scarlett)

Scarlett

(Present)

"Honey, you are overreacting."

"And you are embarrassing me." He said in his clinched teeth. I wanted to knock those teeth into the back of his skull.

I looked at Zeke and back at Wesley wondering what equation on the planet would bring the two of them together. His father was a well known business man. I wondered if he was well enough known to cross paths with Zeke and even still what would the two of them have in common, other than me.

I grabbed Wes by the bicep locking my claws in him. "Okay what's going on?" I grit my teeth. I was ready to storm off behind Troy. Well...not after, after him. His scent still lingered sending my heart into a rage. Was I really just in his arms again dressed as Santa no less. What the visual did to my imagination was enough alone to put me on the naughty list.

I shook my head. "What the hell is going on, Wes?"

"Scar, I seriously thought you knew." Zeke cut in his eyes wide and sympathetic.

"Scar, think about it. A little retreat that's an entire island. We attract celebrity clients. That's where Zeke comes in." That's all I needed to hear. I had a feeling that Zeke and I were pawns to what ever he was trying to pull. "Baby the way you talked about this place. This will be perfect for us, and Danni."

"You are a bastard!" I growled at Wes, turning at my heels.

"Oh bastard huh?" I heard him follow behind me, "Scar, for the record I was going to tell you my plan. It was supposed to be a surprise.

"Well, surprise, surprise." I snapped and kept walking.

"You owe me this, Scar, and you know it."

I turned around. We were in the parking lot and I was ready to raise my voice. "Owe you?" I pushed my hands on my hips.

"Yes, Scarlett." He said with a bold nod. "I'm parading around here as Gab's father for your family."

"For you." I yell, "You said you wanted to work through this. Now I see why. You used me, you used my family."

His eyes widened. "That's like the pot calling kettle black."

"Go to hell, Wes!"

"I'm taking you with me." He yelled, "Any mother that would puts contacts on her little girl? Why don't you tell everyone the truth? Do you even know the damn truth anymore Scarlett? No wonder you hate your mother, you're just like her." The words were like acid.

"I am nothing like my mother." I growled.

"You don't care who you have to hurt to fuck up your little delusion."

"You are deflecting the fact that you went behind my back, trying to hurt people I care about Wes. You didn't even ask me."

He huffed. "I would have done it anyway, you were just my shoe in."

My heart clenched. I didn't know why. I just hated myself for being stupid. I couldn't believe this was the man I was going to have be Danielle's father.

He sighed. "Scar, baby, I'm sorry. I didn't mean that." He cradled my face and tugged away. He had to know the damage was done. "Baby, come on. You know I love you."

I narrowed my eyes him. "You love me?" My stomach twisted just seeing the hollow expression in his eyes, just like Simon.

I had to walk away.

"Scar." He called. I just kept walking. My mom had taken Danielle home, I didn't know where I was going. I needed time to think. How did I get so far away from what I wanted? When did I loose that eighteen year old girl that was here that summer. I was lost and somewhere and somehow I needed to find myself. For me and for Eva. I remembered what he had asked me all those years ago. What did I want? I still couldn't answer it and it hurt. I just wanted to go back and live in that summer forever. I wanted to feel that way again.