Chapter 18: Another Day Off (Scarlett)

Scarlett

(Past)

As soon as I opened my eyes they went to the floor where he lied and my heart dropped when I didn't see him.

I sat up and looked around the room. He probably went to work early. Reaching for my phone on the nightstand, I decided to call Nick. I noticed the time and realized I forgot to set my alarm. I wasn't sure if Troy would punish me for being late, or even fire me, but I didn't want to take my chances.

That was when the sound of water running drew my attention toward the bathroom. Troy walked out of the bathroom. I let out a breath of relief that I didn't know I was holding.

He jumped into the bed next to me. His lips curved into his infamous warm smile. I felt a steady rattle in my chest and my stomach flip, the chain reaction cause a nervous and goofy sounding giggle.

"What?"

My cheeks burned thinking of how stupid I looked. My fingers smoothed out my hair. "I figured you'd be at the restaurant."

"I decided to take a personal day."

I felt my eyebrow quirk.

"There's been a few things I've been putting off." He said.

"Like?" I asked curiously.

He pushed his lips together tightly. "Let's just say I took your advice." He stood up, "I'll take you to the store while I'm out."

I looked at him.

"Or you can get your things from your mother's" He said, "Have you called her?"

I shook my head. "I guess I could pick up some stuff."

"Good."

"You sure you want to call out all day?" I slid out of bed, and walked to the dresser to get my purse, "I mean it it really necessary to cut everyone else's hours?"

"I called everyone already and I'm going to fix the schedules. Everybody's cool."

My eyebrows shot up as I looked at him. "Cool?"

"Yeah. I haven't had a day off in ages anyway." He shrugged.

"Okay." I sighed.

Troy took me to a small shop where I got an outfit and few toiletries. We went to his house to shower, get changed, and have breakfast. Troy actually cooked pancakes, and actually could cook. I didn't know why it surprised me but it did.

When we left Troy's house we pulled into a line of stores.

"You can go shopping for what ever you need here." He said.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

He chuckled.

"I don't want to be gone too long." I said, "Or have to wait." I wasn't much of a shopper but I wanted to at least know how much time I had so I wouldn't overstay my welcome with Troy. He was sticking his neck out. I had a feeling he'd closed the restaurant to accommodate me. I felt bad.

He pointed. "A friend I went to school with me runs a practice over here in family law."

"A lawyer."

His lip twitched. "Just call me when you're ready."

I nodded and pushed the door.

"And up...get a suit."

I looked at him. "What?"

"A bathing suit." He smiled, "It's about time someone took you on a real tour of the island. I figured we'd make a day of it. "

My stomach fluttered again as I felt my bottom lip dribble. "Um...okay."

I didn't know how I was supposed to feel about spending the day with Troy. I was excited, but there was a nervousness that came with it. Maybe it was the thought of wearing a bikini with Troy all day. Not that it had to be a bikini. My heart raced thinking of his reaction to a two piece and the warmth his hand coating my hips my body pulse as I walked into the first clothing store.

"Hey honey, can I help you with anything?"

I looked up at the bubbly redhead behind the counter and I just shook my head. Probably a woman in town he'd slept with. My insides bubbled just thinking about it how small this island was, and how many women he's probably slept with. I closed my eyes and shook it off. Troy was still my friend, and here I was spotting attractive women and trying to decide if Troy slept with them. I flipped through the racks trying not to think like that.

I tried not to think about spending the day alone with Troy at all. It was just like fishing on his boat, and with my luck, he'd probably pick up Zeke, Brit, Eddie, and Tiff, maybe even Heather.

My phone ringing pulled me out of my thoughts. "Hello?"

"How's that shopping coming."

"You're finished already?" I asked.

"I got the ball rolling."

"I'm finishing up." I lied.

"Okay. Good we got a lot to see."

I swallowed as I hung up. I snatched a yellow and pink sunset bikini off of the rack and a few other things bought them and went into the dressing room.

I stripped and put on my bikini and studied my figure in the mirror. I slid my hands over my stomach and noticed my fat thighs that didn't match my other small features, including breast. They didn't look bug like Heather's. I didn't know why I thought about her now. I definitely wouldn't be in just this, I thought. I slipped on a pair of jean shorts wondering if I needed to put on a pear of jeans or capris. I tried not to think about it. It's not like Troy really looked at my thighs. Friends don't look at a girl's thighs, besides I'd wore a dress at my party, he'd seen my thigh. I slipped on a white button up shirt with flowers on it over my bikini top and slid on white flip flops. I unbuttoned a button on the shirt and twisted. I fluffed my pony tail. I then re-did it into a bun. I pulled it out so my curls scattered everywhere. I snatched my brush out of my purse and pulled it back letting a couple of lose bangs hang.

I then dug for my gloss and applied it to my lips. I then eyeliner and mascara. I didn't wear make up much but I felt like I needed it. I then pinned my hair back in a bun, because it couldn't just be flying around everywhere. I studied myself again. This was as good as I was going to get.

I walked outside with all of my bags. Troy immediately stepped out of his truck and helped me with my bags setting them in his truck bed. He then turned and stopped. His eyes got wide as they scrolled me. My stomach twisted. I twisted my arm behind behind my back. I must have looked like an idiot.

He shook his head as if coming into his thoughts. He pulled the door and opened it. "Let me get that."

I slid in the front seat as he closed it. I notice him climb in the eat and his eyes darted to my huge thighs. My face burned as my head fell. I twisted my hands between my legs hating myself for not wearing pants.

"Hey?"

I looked up but before I could get my head up his fingers cradled my chin sending warm electricity where he touched. "You okay."

I pulled away and nodded pushing a strand of my hair behind my ear.

"Okay." He said gently. His arm stretched behind me as he pulled out of the parking lot. His arm rested behind my seat. I didn't notice if he'd done it all the time, but I noticed it now. I stayed focused on the window and rubbing the goose flesh on my arms.

"Cold?"

I looked back at him. I noticed his blue eyes looking into mine before they returned to the road. "No, I'm fine."

"Are you sure." His fingers went toward the nob that controlled the AC.

I clutched my thighs. "I'm fine." I said, "Where are we going?"

He turned to me with a deviant smirk. "I think the question is 'where aren't we going?"