Chapter 10: Called Out (For Liking Her) (Troy)

Troy

(Past)

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say you're turning into a softy." Nick smirked giving me that shit eating know it all grin that he'd had even in high school.

Nick had known me since freshman year of high school, he had gone off to college off the island and done some studying abroad to perfect his culinary craft, but when I found out that he moved back to the island being down on his luck, I knew his timing couldn't have been anymore perfect.

I took in a swig of my beer and let the suds sooth my throat. "You got that pit smelling good, man." I deflected. Not that it was a lie, the pot looked like something out of a witch cartoon, like he was trying to cook Bugs Bunny, but He had put everything but the kitchen sink andoullie sausage, crawfish, crab, chicken, muscles, clams, corn, red potatoes, and shrimp. I had eaten cajun cooking over Nick's mom's house before, and I hadn't missed his moms cooking more since she left the island.

Popped the cap off another beer, poured half of it in the stew and took another thick swig brushing his sweat with his sleeve. He then, took the his big spoon stirring the pot making all the delicious aromas mix. "All I know is this is the first time in a long time I saw you do all this for a chick."

"She's not a chick, she's my friend." I said. I didn't go into what happened on the fourth, and I didn't want to. The next couple of days at work, I made it a point to make sure things stayed as platonic as possible with Scar. We went back to fishing. Heather's skirts were getting shorter, so either she was suspecting something or was just trying to step it up, and I wasn't going to bite...period.

"If you ask me..."

"I didn't ask you." I cut him off.

"I was just going to say, it would be a nice change. She's a nice girl."

"That is my employee, that's half my age, that is just a friend."

"Why does age have to be a factor?" He put his beer down and started to stir more.

"It's not." I cut him off again, "She's my friend."

"I thought I was your friend."

I chuckled. "Don't do that."

"Hey you never gave me a crawfish boil for my birthday."

"Hey a bought you a few strippers." I laughed.

He chuckled. "I know it don't mean shit coming from me. You two look good together. It's nice to see you happy for once."

I nodded taking a swig of my beer, "Yeah, she's a sweetheart." I admitted.

"Yeah, she is."

"And going to kick ass in college this fall."

"Where's she going?"

"University of Florida."

"Gators."

I chuckled. "Yeah."

"Good school."

"How many hours away do you think it is."

I blew out a breath. Laughing. "She's a friend."

"You can still get your ass off this island to give your friend a visit." He down the last gulp of his beer.

I brushed it off. She probably wouldn't think about me once the summer was up. Everything I was doing was just to make sure the this summer would be a memorable one for her. I remembered the year before college for me, I asked Leona to marry me. The biggest mistake of my life.

"So where's the birthday princess now?" He picked up his beer and crossed his arms.

"She's out with pampering the girls." I laughed, "At my expense."

His eyebrows shot up. "Oh, at your expense?"

"They all work for me. Why not?" I shrugged and took another sip of my beer swishing it around in my mouth.

He cradled his nose and shook his head.

"What?"

"Why don't you just come out and say it, Troy. You'll feel better about yourself."

"Say what."

He faked a cough. "You like her."

I chuckled to overshadow my my heart racing and my body feeling warm. "As a person. What are we 12?"

"Why don't you ask her out." He smiled, "I mean, she's legal now."

"You want me to put in a good word?" I crossed my arms covering the fact that the thought of Nick with Scar made my blood boil, even though I knew he was kidding. I finished my beer and pulled another out of the cooler. Hoping that I could get through the summer and maybe these high school love symptoms would go away. Even if I wanted Scar, I didn't, but a relationship just wasn't in the cards for me, with her or anyone. She'd end up hating me, and then I would have to work with her. That would just be more stress.

"I'm going to check on the decorations." I said turning toward the restaurant.

Heather and Eddie were doing decorations. I had Zeke, but he had been MIA all day, as usual. Heather's eyes met mine and she fluttered over to me with streamer in her hand like a little pixie.

"Hey Troy." She said, "You like the dress I picked out."

I studied her blue tube dress and I thought she looked like a blue tinker bell with the ponytail. I was going to tell her, but then I was leaning more toward telling her to take her arms from around me.

"So what are we doing for my birthday."

I forced a tense smile. "I'll think of something."

"I like this idea. I think maybe we should keep these up till tomorrow."

"We're overdue for a change." I said looking around. "I'll think about it."

The place was covered in bright colored masks, shiny mardi gras beads, and streamers. I even ordered a neon sign that read 'Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler' Let the good times roll and another one that was a state sign read 'Bienvenue en Louisiane'. There was also Christmas lights for an added touch. The dining room looked like a bourbon street cafe. I knew she was going to love it. If this didn't confirm the fact that she had friends here, I didn't know what would.