Chapter 5: My 1st Gift to Him (Scarlett)

Scarlett

(Past)

Step dad was being a ass today. I wanted to tell him to fuck off and remind him that he wasn't my father, but this time I bit my tongue. I was just not in the mood for another lecture from my mother about me not wanting her to be happy and how ungrateful I am. She wasn't happy she was lonely. Big difference. I hated how people think they could only be complete when they are in a relationship, and will do anything, even put off their kids to be 'happy'.

So once again work became my escape, though I was counting down the days. I was tempted to go to early enrollment, but I wanted to save up a little money first.

I was happy anyway. My package came in the mail. Troy lied. He didn't take that rod out of my paycheck, but I still felt obligated to replace it. I didn't know that it would take me nearly an entire paycheck to replace it. I had almost got the cheaper pole, but I decided to replace the exact one. I couldn't wait to see his face. I had never spent so much on a guy that I wasn't related to, so I just hoped he liked it.

Nick pulled the door open for me. "Hey babe, you need help with that?"

"No." I smiled tugging the package under my arm, "Where's Troy."

Nick cocked his head tossing his blond hair. "In his office."

I gave Nick a friendly smile as I strolled toward the back of the building. I couldn't help but think about the conversation I'd eavesdropped in with Leona. For the past few weeks I had been working, I had heard heated conversations with Leona, but no visits, not even with his son. From what I gathered, he had really missed him, and was going to file for custody if he didn't at least get some kind of visitation. I would have thought that kind of frustration would turn a guy into an asshole of a boss.

I've had bosses deal with less that would make everyone's life a living hell. I guessed when you could just go out a enjoy the ocean after a heated argument, stress didn't consume you like it did in the city.

Troy was on the phone when I walked in but from the sound of it he was placing some orders. He looked relaxed leaning back in his tattered leather chair. I took it he was really sentimental, because everything in his office looked ancient.

As he looked up at me he held up a finger. I nodded at his gesture to wait. I took the time to study the pictures on the wall. Like the short dark-haired boy in over-alls playing on the beach. Then tons of baby pictures. Then pictures with him only younger. There was one that caught me. He was holding a trophy and wore a football uniform. He was cheek to cheek with a dark-haired lady. She had the same deep blue eyes and mouth structure that made the same warm smile. My own mouth curved absent-mindedly. She looked old but despite was stunning, almost like an old movie star.

Then I noticed a picture of the same woman, a young Troy and from the looks of it a kid version of Zeke. I noticed a light house in the background. I had noticed it in the skyline walking into work, but in the picture they were standing close to it. I secretly wanted to see it in person. I thought lighthouses were beautiful and this one was no exception. It had a red striped that wrapped around it making it look like a big candy cane.

"Beautiful is she?"

I jerked noticing Trow in close range. Again the personal space, but now it didn't bother me so much. "You're mom?"

"Yeah." He smiled revealing a dimple in his stubble, "That's mom."

There was a strain in his voice that made me want to ask if she was still living, but I decided not to. Troy and I had only opened up that day on the boat. He didn't know about the issues I was having at home and I wanted to keep it that way, so even though I considered him a friend I didn't try to pry. I knew enough to know that under all of that womanizing flirtation, he was a decent person that just wanted to see his son and that treated everyone in town like family.