Chapter 31: When He Told Me Everything (Scarlett)

The cool wet sand felt soothing with every step. My fingers tangled in his sent my heart soaring up above past the grey clouds gathering above. I tugged his shirt close to me.

I'd showered without a change of clothes. Troy offered to was my dress that still had the sweat of our lovemaking on it. Besides being too tight, it was dry clean only. The soft silky cotton sufficed enough as we made our way to the lighthouse.

After he unlocked the door, he swooped me into his arms. I giggled as I buried my nose in his neck nuzzling relishing in that scent as it mixed with the  smell of the coming rain.

When we'd reached the top his lips captured mine. I wrapped my legs around him as his tongue swam in my mouth. A few zips and he was in me propped on window of the lighthouse.

I was glad I decided against panties. Troy kissed me hard as he'd pumped me to my pinnacle. After, I just giggled like an idiot.

"Get used to that." He murmured.

He lowered me to the wood floor and I looked out into the sea. I saw why Troy wanted to die here. It was an endless gorgeous view.

"Do you like this?" He drawled into my ear sliding his fingers around my waist.

I coated my hands over his. "I love this."

He chuckled. "No. I meant the island."

I turned wrapping my arms around his neck breathing heavily. " I love the island." I pulled closer, "I love you on it."

His head fell so his lips touched mine. "Well I'm glad." He rocked my hips swaying me.

His eyes glittered like the sea at sunset. This was a better view than the ocean itself. He smiled. "Did I ever tell you the story about its origin?"

I shook my head.

He blew out a breath. "The was this man. This rich man. He wasn't exactly likable and the only friends he had used him for his money and even those so called friends he played dirty tricks on to see just how far they'd go for his money."

"Then he'd gotten very ill and  by this time he had no real friends. Doctors tried to find a cure for the mysterious disease but they couldn't. He started hiring nurses to take care of him, but he started playing the same tricks on them too, until he met a beautiful woman, that was feisty and was honest with him." He chuckled, "She was a lot like you Scar."

I smiled watching him look from the sea to me as he told the story.

He licked his lips. "She fell in love with him. He was afraid to return that love although, love is something one can't fight."

"It was that love that made him realize that he was dying and he had no legacy. So he asked this beautiful nurse to bare him a child to carry on his legacy. "

"The nurse being the religious woman she was said she would agree if he married her...He did and he gave her this island and here is where she bore him a son and where he died...and where she died."  His eyes glassed over as he looked down at me. "That man's name was Trenton Walker he was my father."  He smiled. "This island is my father's legacy and his gift to my mother...and his son." A tears streamed down his face and I brushed it away with my thumb.

"So this little slice of paradise is all yours?"

He nodded.

"That's a beautiful story, Troy."

"It's true. All of it. It is My father's legacy...and I want you to have it."

I giggled. "Right."

His eyebrows fell.

He walked away I knew I'd insulted him. He rummaged through a desk and pulled out an old piece of paper. He slowly handed it to me. I opened it. It was a deed....to Trenton Island.

"Troy you own a fucking island!"

He chuckled. "I inherited one. Yes."

"So this whole time? This is yours?"

"All of it." He sighed and his lips tensed. He scratched the back of his neck. "That wasn't the only thing I inherited from dear old dad."

"What did he give you a third world country?" I laughed until I realized he was looking at me his eyes glistening with unshed tears. My heart tensed.

"Scarlett, I'm dying."

Just like that it was crushed l. I shook my head. "No."

"I'm afraid so. My body is slowly giving out. Some days are better than others, but its happening."

I swallowed thickly. The tears streamed down my face. I would have rather had Troy than and island any day.

"I've been to doctor after doctor they don't know what it is. Just that its killing me slowly."

"Troy. How...when..." My body shook.

"Scarlett, baby, I knew about this long before I knew you."

My heart crushed more. I shook my head.

He held tighter. I almost wanted to pull away but my body sank into his.

"I was afraid to fall in love with you, because I didn't want to anchor you. That's why I let you go Scar. I didn't want to put you through this. I'm sorry babe."

"How long..."

"They've given me plenty of expiration dates. My father died at Thirty. I'm going on forty-two and I still feel fine most days."

He pulled away to look in my eyes. "Scar that was why it was so important to me to have Porter. Then I found out he wasn't mine. My father wanted me to carry on his legacy. If I'd left I'd lose my father's island."

"That's why you don't leave."

"Even before I knew about Danielle. It's yours Scar. My gift to you. You and Danielle's. If you want it. No matter what."

"You're giving me an island? Troy what are you talking about? Why?"

"My father's legacy, Scar." He held hands running his thumbs over my knuckles. "The same reason my dad gave it to my mother. He was afraid to admit it but he'd given it to her to show how much he loved her. " He chuckled. "So she would always have a place."

I shook my head. It still didn't make sense.

"I love you Scarlett. I'm giving it to you because I love you. That's my legacy."

Most guys buy their girl's flowers, a car, even a house, Troy gives me an island.

He sniffed.  "Even if you say no."

I raised my eyebrows. "No? To the island."

He smiled as if this couldn't get anymore insane. He knelt in front of me.

My mouth dropped as did my heart.

He pulled a box from his pocket in a silver box with a large vivid deep blue stone surrounded by small diamonds. "Scarlett Ducote, will you do be the incredible honor of spending the rest of my days as Mrs. Troy Trenton Walker."

The word caught somewhere in the back of my throat. "Of course!" I got out.

His eyes lit up. As he slipped the ring on my finger. I studied it gleaming in the sun. "Is it real?" I didn't mean to sound like a gold digger. It didn't matter but it had a weight to it.

He chuckled. "Yes. Actually. It was Mom's."

I just looked at him in euphoric disbelief. I wrapped my arms and legs around him kissing him deeply. I was his.

"Now when can I meet our daughter?" He grinned.

I smiled and nuzzled my handsome amazing fiance.

"I thought you'd never ask."