Chapter 9: The Fourth Of July (Troy)

Troy

I decided to keep my distance with her. I even stopped bringing her on the yacht with me. I didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea about her, or even about us. I felt it, and I missed it, I had to admit but I didn't want to add to her complications. I decided no more special treatment. The birthday party was already in the works. I wasn't going to stop that.

I liked the excuse to have a big fish boil, even an excuse change. It seemed like the more I stopped hanging out with Scar the more I started noticing Heather's behavior. She started coming in early, claiming that she needed the extra hours, but kept checking on me in the office like she was my secretary. Once she had even answered my phone. Nobody ever answered my phone.

The land line at the restaurant was always forwarded to my cell. The same with my house. I only answered it because for some strange reason that was beyond me, the only place Leona called me was at the restaurant and I didn't need everybody to know the shit she put me through, even though they knew already.

"Are you okay, Troy." I noticed Heather wearing a short white sundress with kiss marks. The wrong gust of wind and her secrets would be out. Not that they weren't already. I was sure people were already whispering about our encounter.I was just thankful tomorrow was the forth.. It meant it was a holiday. That meant I could drink myself into a stupor and not care what anyone thought about it.

My plans were botched. I should have known Zeke was going to talk me into being a designated driver for the fair. He had a show on the main stage and then her was going to play the whole rock star card and probably get one of his older friends to buy beer which I didn't condone. I admit, I looked the other way, but I just made sure they didn't do anything stupid.

"Can I talk to you?" She said., climbing in the front seat.

I cradled my nose as I watched everyone else take off into the sparkling lights of the fair, and here she was in my van with me. Clearly, my plan wasn't working.

"Did I do something?"

I looked at her. Her eyes were big and concerned.

"No." I said, "I just wanted to stop embarrassing you by the special treatment."

She slouched in the seat looking down r. "I thought you were mad at me or something."

I smiled. "No, I wasn't mad. I was just afraid I'd overstepped my bounds."

"You stood up for me." She said still speaking softly looking at her hands folded in her lap. I wanted to tilt her head up to mine but I still resisted.

"I just don't want to make it harder for your to make friends."

She looked up at me. "I thought you were my friends."

I smiled again. "We are. I just didn't want to embarrass you from your friends your own age."

"I guess they aren't real friends if they'll judge me because one of my friends stood up for me." She said, "They must be some shitty friends."

My lips twitched again as I thought about the surprise party everyone still planned for her. No one was judging her. I didn't want to make her think people were talking about her behind her back. I heard nothing from anyone.

"So are we still good." Her eyes searched mine.

I slid my hand in hers felling my heart lose it for a moment. "Of course we are. I kind of miss talking to you on my boat." I admitted.

She giggled. "Me too."

"Come on." I said pushing against the door. I guess you're hanging out with me.