Chapter 23: When Things Changed (Scarlett)

Scarlett

(Past)

I thought yesterday was bad. Troy left the island, which was obviously a big deal. Nick said it had been a couple of years. Troy promised to tell me when he had gotten back.

I still remembered our last kiss when he boarded the ferry. Nuzzling into him and taking in his scent. It was like he was taking a piece of me with him.

"Scarlett, seriously?"

Heather's voice brought me out of my daze. I caught sight of her scowl. "What?"

"Enough scrubbing that table. Do something else already."

I grumbled. Then there was him leaving Heather in charge. I wished he could have left anyone in charge other than her. I would have taken Zeke. I understood she was there the longest and was the oldest, but seriously Heather?

I was happy to take an order so I could dip to the kitchen and see Nick. He studied the ticket.

"Why couldn't he get you to run the restaurant?"

Nick chuckled. "If I didn't have to hold down the kitchen."

"But Heather?" I huffed, "I see why he just shut down the restaurant."

Nick hackled again. "It's just one day. You'll survive."

What I couldn't survive was being away from Troy. As sorry as it was, I missed him. He didn't say when he'd be back just that he would be gone all day. I not so secretly wishing he'd show up during my shift. Heather was already being a bitch to me for obvious reasons. It was not so secret that she wanted Troy. I was tempted to make my way out to the boat and catch the catch of the day waiting for Troy even though Heather told me to stay in the dining room and clean tables.

I didn't think Troy would fire me for being a bitch today and the agreement was that while we were on the clock we were boss and employee. He wasn't on the clock.

Britt and Tiff invited me to the diner. It was fun to have girl talk. The girls just wanted to know about Troy. Mostly how he was. I had to admit that we hadn't. What I didn't tell them, was that it wasn't for lack of me trying. Troy decided to take things slow with me, even though he was continuing to push boundaries.

Troy came later on in the night, and everything picked up as usual. I wasn't until the next day things got weird. I stepped into work and Troy's room to his office was closed. I decided to knock. Even being his employee, I at least could check on my boss.

The door came open and seeing Leona's figure on the other side of the door. With her long fake eye lashes and the bright red dress that hugged her figure and her breast nearly spilling out she looked like some over done up pin up. My eyes trailed behind her seeing Troy at his desk.

"Scar, I'll be with you in just a second." He said.

My words caught in my throat as I nodded. With a deviant smirk on her bright crimson lips she closed the door.

I had worked my shift, and went back to Troy's office. The door was still closed. I wondered if I should have knocked, but I decided not to.

"Hey, Scar we're going to a bon fire tonight. You want to come?" I noticed Brit getting into her white Jeep.

"Bon fire? I asked."

Tiff spoke as she got in on the other side. "It's a tradition. We do it every summer before school starts.

I looked back at the restaurant.

"I'm sure Troy will know where you'll be. Everybody is going to be there."