Chapter 16: What I Shouldn't Have Said (Troy)

Troy

(Past)

The drive had pushed the conversation with Nick in the back of my mind. The idea of being with Scar was even more in the back of my mind. I was in control of what I did and right now a relationship wasn't even in the cards for me. I was prepared to spend the rest of my life and be happy. As I pulled into my driveway, it dawned on me that I had let two much in my life get me down to the point I couldn't appreciate the good things in my life.

My life wasn't perfect be I had a lot to be content about. I stepped out of my truck snatching the bag from the diner and then the cup holder with Scar's shake. I came in the door the living room was just as I had left it. I wondered if she stayed in the room. Maybe she was sicker than she let on. I stepped into the the house and looked over at the toward the dining area where the back door was. I saw her figure against the setting sun.

She'd picked the perfect time to walk on the beach. It was just after a rain shower. It was cool, and the smell alone was soothing. Just the feel of the wet sand was enough to relive any stress. That seemed like just what the doctor ordered. I set her lunch on the counter and slipped outside taking my shoes off, creeping behind her sliding my hands over her eyes just to play around we her.

"Troy." She giggled turning around.

I smiled. "How did you know?"

"I heard your bones cracking. You should really get in shape."

My lips parted playfully, but the old comment tensed my chest. "Really? Old?" I laughed, I picked her up, putting her over my shoulder and marched her into the sea.

"Troy," She squealed.

"I'll show you old." I walked till the water came just under my hips as she squirmed.

"Don't drop me Troy."

"Am I old?" I tipped her into the water.

"No." She said quickly.

I chuckled and headed back toward the beach. I was tempted to toss her in, but I decided to give her a break. It wasn't like she had come prepared to stay the night. I guessed she had the jeans and shirt she was wearing in her purse. As I set her down her she playfully swung at my biceps screaming at me. I just laughed grabbing her wrist.

"That's not funny." She smiled.

"You called me old."

My eyes scrolled her eyes and then her lips. "Are you hungry?"

"A little."

I took her by the hand. I had to admit all that touching her was giving my heart a work out. I was glad I wasn't a couple of decades older I would have had a heart attack already.

"Does that thing even work."

I drew my attention to Scar who was looking over toward the light house. I looked over at it and smiled. "Yeah it works." I said, "I'll get your lunch and we'll go up and check it out."

She let out a small squeal. I went inside and grabbed her lunch and handed it to her.

I had never really brought company with me to the lighthouse other than Porter, but that was when this when the house belonged to my mother. Scar trailed behind me. I had done all of the upkeep for the lighthouse after mom passed away. Truthfully, it had become a storage room and my work shop. I looked back at Scar. Her eyes were big and bright as she looked around. She was like a toddler seeing everything for the first time as I lead her around the winding stair case. I kept a small apartment at the top with a small bed, a night stand and a small table with a couple of chairs on the other side. "This was my mother's special place." I said.