chapter fourteen

Two years ago

Two years ago

My fingers had been shivering since this morning, trembling like a desperate school girl wondering if Casper had already seen the letter in his locker.

The school dance was in two days times and I finally summoned the courage to ask him to the dance, maybe not in person but at least I had dropped him a note — he was probably reading it right now and I had no idea what to expect… what if he doesn’t like me? What if I become the laughingstock of the whole school? I had been so scared that I had locked myself in the girls room until school was over or at least until I get my response but I don’t think I’ll be getting my response soon especially when I’ve been sitting on a toilet seat for hours.

“Com’on Paige you need to come out” Kelly had been pleading to me for hours, banging at the door, but I was too scared to let her in, what if she already got the reply, what if I become oh ha in playful kiss, and he marks the letter and I get f9, I could think of a thousand of negative thoughts and not one single positive thought.

“Paige if you don’t open this door then am going to break it down” Kelly threatened and in my financial state I didn’t have enough money for a good college, I definitely wouldn’t be able to pay for a broken door either, so I gently unlocked the lock and crept out the door peering behind the door to see if any other person was in.

“Finally” Kelly exclaimed, “I thought you were never coming out” she gave me a warm tender hug. “Don’t worry am 100% sure he likes you too, so raise you’re your head up, lift your chin up and show the world how confident you are” and with those words of encouragement Kelly lead me out of the door and for the first time I felt a lot better, she made me feel special enough and I loved her for that, she was one of the best thing that ever happened to me, and I was glad she was always there for me cause that’s what we were — best friends.

*****

Casper and I had been on the cinema bench for hours, talking and laughing. I was so happy with him, he wasn’t the cold-hearted douche I had always thought he was, he was actually sweet and sensitive, and he also had a charming sense of humor, I wondered why I had never noticed this side of him, but suddenly being so happy with him gave me a guilty pain in my chest, the thought of Brandon had once again come to my mind and I couldn’t deny it, that in all does trauma and adventures I had also fallen for him too — if only Casper had told me he liked me, that he loved me, if only he had replied by letter two years ago then maybe I wouldn’t be stuck so deep in this mess, maybe I wouldn’t have slowly let Brandon in but then the question began to hit me over and over again, why didn’t he? And then when it began to eat me to the very last bit I had to ask.

“I did” he answered.
“No you didn’t” I answered with a confused expression on my face, if he had done I would have known if he did I wouldn’t have been so miserable during the school dance.