chapter twenty three

I laid awake till the next morning, my eyes never once closing in fear of Casper's return, I had lost my voice to speak in fear — I couldn't call out for help, my legs were drenched in blood and trembling, the pain was immense

I laid awake till the next morning, my eyes never once closing in fear of Casper's return, I had lost my voice to speak in fear — I couldn't call out for help, my legs were drenched in blood and trembling, the pain was immense... I couldn't bear it, for the first time I wanted to just disappear into thin air, how would I face the world again? How would I ever feel happy again? I had been scarred for life by a person I adored.

I had waited for morning patiently, wondering how Casper felt about himself, did he feel even the littlest remorse, did he cry once for hurting me? Did he break him inside? I know I did badly, but he did worst and as the tears rolled down my eyes again since last night I knew I may never be able to forgive him.

“Paige darling” mom walked casually into my room but that was her worst mistake, the tray of food she was carrying fell to the ground, her eyes wide in terror of the sight of me, her lips kept moving, shuddering in fear but no words came out, her eyes were fixed on the blood stained bed, as slowly as she regained herself she took gentle steps closer until she could hold me tight, tight enough to wrap me in her arms, to hug her only surviving child in her arms as I broke in tears, tears that I had been holding for the longest hours of my life.

“Who did this to you?”

“What happened Paige?”

Mom's voice was breaking in pain, but I was too weak to answer her, every inch of my body was about to break down, I had been waiting patiently for a safe arm, and as mom stared into my blood-red eyes begging for an answer, I fought against my body no more, I let it win — I blacked out.

***
When I finally regained consciousness I found myself in the hospital, my eyes still felt blurry but I could still see five figures surrounding me and suddenly I found myself screaming, screaming like a wild cat, I couldn't recognize any of them they all looked the same... what if it was Casper? My panic attack increased, I was going ballista, my blood pressure was shooting above normal point, they all tried to calm me down, different hands from different corners but my brain processed each one of them as an attack and I fought them off, my aggression level was high and I had no idea when everything went blank again all I could feel was the shot in my arm, and I was gone again.

But the next time I woke up I was completely tied to the bed, my eyes were still heavy, somehow this time even heavier, I could hear voices around, “she has woken up, she has woken up” mom screamed and rushed to me but I still couldn't see her clear enough to realize she was my mom and my hands were bound so even aggression was not an option, I stared silently at her — completely silent, I had no idea what to say, I had no idea who to trust. Sometimes it's not our enemies who hurt us it's our friends that hurt us the most.

“The cops just arrived” a tall broad man said, he was probably my dad but at that point I didn't care much, not even the sight of the three men in uniform who entered after him moved me, where were they when I needed them? Why come now after the deed is done?

“We rushed here as soon as we heard” one of the men spoke.

“Thank you officer” mom replied, “We have no idea what happened I had just woken up this morning and realized what happened”

“Did you hear any sound of someone entering?”

“No sir, regrettably I was awfully tired, so I just went straight to bed and I heard nothing, only Paige herself knows who did this to her” mom sighed.

“So let's ask her” the cop encouraged mom to approach me and in timid steps she did, my eyes were open but there were almost not even open at all. She bent down closely to my face.

“Who did this to you Paige?”

“Sweetheart we all want to help you but we only can if you tell us who did this” mom pleaded but again I just stared at her and remained silent and that silence broke her.

“Please Paige I'm trying my best to be as strong as I can but I'm breaking inside, someone hurt my little girl, someone hurt you and I don't even know who it is, I can't even grab the person and rip him apart, please Paige tell me" she screamed so hard and broke into tears.

The man I believed was my dad rushed over to her, hugging her tight, calming her down, she couldn't be the enemy, they couldn't be my enemy, they were here to help I told myself and then I found my voice... I found it.

“Casper” I said almost in a whisper, “Casper...” I continuously recited, and they all heard it, it wasn't surprising but it didn't stop the hearts from breaking. “Casper... all Casper”

***
Gradually I began to regain myself, gradually I began to recognize the surrounding faces, I could see my mom, dad, Ella, even dad's mistress but then there was a familiar face I didn't want to see, I knew him but I just couldn't remember anything about him, it was like my brain despised him, like it wanted me to hate him and at this moment my brain was the only thing I could trust.

“Get him out” I screamed as loud as I could and soon my panic attacks began again, they all seemed confused, like he was somebody I would want close but I didn't I didn't want him anywhere near me, I had no reason why but I hated him with every bone in my body.

“Its Brandon” Ella said, “Brandon page, the boy you love” but my screams only got worst and when in final attempt he tried to get to me but I pushed him brutally to the ground, there was no regret, no pinch of remorse, only spite — spite that's all I felt for him and when I looked into his eyes even if I couldn't care all I could see was a broken soul.

A/N: here's to another chapter, am glad this book is actually progressing and it's all thanks to you all, really thank you.... Thank you ☺