Chapter twenty five

Brandon's pov

Brandon's pov

It had been one long torturous week,
Hell on earth.
Paige's loud scream filled the room
Her nightmares were becoming worst
These days they weren't just nightmares they became daydreams
Flashes of the hell she went through kept replaying in her mind day and night.
She was slowly loosing it
Loosing her will to live!

“He was the good guy... He was the good guy...” She recited unconsciously countless times. Her eyes would be wide wake staring at nothing and no one.

She hardly said a word
She hardly let anyone in
She had been betrayed by the one she loved the most.
She had been ruined by the only one keeping her alive
Now she had lost her reason... Every single reason to live.

The therapy sessions weren't helping much
The therapist gave daily report of her lack of progress, she had no intention to have any interactive discussion.

She wasn't interested in anything any more
She was sinking in an abyss of darkness
And I was hurting in a bottomless pit

The fact that I was the least person who could help her taunted me
The fact that she couldn't even look me in the eyes without screaming hurt me
To her I was a beast
To her I was the bad guy
I was the villain
She had no memory... None at all
Everything about me erased from her hardware
But, yet I was the bad one
I was the one whose presence got her agitated
I was the one she scratched at every touch
I was the one she screamed at every sight!

I should have been there — by her side
I should have protected her
I should have taken all her fears away
But I didn't and I couldn't.

I wish one day she would learn to forgive me. That's all I can hope for.

***

Early that Saturday morning I was at the hospital, everyday I woke up frustrated than usual, I was lacking sleep, I was lacking food, I was lacking everything but most especially I was lacking Paige. The empty void was slowly eating me up.

Today felt different from others
I couldn't point why
But I could feel it
That deadly omen
The cold breeze brushed my skin sending chills down my spine

I became more cautious of my steps
Staring at every single soul, observing even the littlest fact but everything was still the same, everyone still on the same daily routine. So why was I feeling this way? Why did I have a feeling something bad was going to happen?

I took the elevator up to Paige's room, I was too drained to climb the long stairs today.
Waiting patiently as the elevator rose up. Floor by floor.

The ringing sound of my phone filled the air in seconds, and I was shocked to see it was Paige's mom, she had never called me before I only had the number in case of an emergency — we all did.

I could feel the fear creeping my bones, did something bad happen?
And with my trembling hand I picked up the phone.

“Brandon I'm so sorry to disturb you” her voice sounded normal, and gradually my heartbeat calmed down as I listened to her complete what she had to say. “I'm so sorry but I won't be able to make it to the hospital today please can you watch over Paige, I know she isn't really giving you a chance but you can at least try”

“You don't even need to ask Mrs knight, you know I would do anything for Paige”

“I know and that's why I'm glad you're here... You're a good kid Brandon and Paige will soon see that too I promise”

A light smile crept on my face but it quickly faded.
The elevator suddenly shook and I could easily tell what had just happened.
I was trapped in an elevator
Mrs knight wasn't going to make it
Paige was all alone
The puzzle became clear.
My heart raced
I immediately grabbed my phone to call Ella but the elevator wasn't the only thing loosing some screws.

“Get me out!” I screamed, banging on the elevator as hard as I could.
“Help!”
The fear within me knew no bounds, I knew exactly what was going to happen, I knew exactly how this story would end.

Since the event Paige and I had never said a word, she hardly even looked at me but one night was different.

I was leaving like every other day
I said my goodbye without a reply.

I walked slowly towards the door hoping for her charming voice to call me back.
And this time she did.
“Soon you won't need to come here anymore, soon I won't be a burden anymore.” She said and turned away.

I knew what she meant
I knew the message she was passing
And I knew I had to prepare for the worst.

“I'll make sure it doesn't happen” I said coldly and walked out.

Now standing alone
Stuck in an elevator
With the large pit in my tummy
I knew the day was here.

“Help” I screamed louder.
I promised I wouldn't let this day come
But here it was
And I'm helpless
It was like I had failed Paige yet again
I couldn't remember the last time I had prayed so hard but I did
I prayed
And as my hope grew thin I heard the sound of the elevator open.

I didn't think twice
I didn't look back
I just ran as fast as I could
Dash into her room
She still laid asleep on her bed and I couldn't help but sigh in relief but I didn't grasp the true situation until I drew closer.
Approaching her right side to admire her beautiful face, but I was welcomed by a strong stench and the sight of blood. A large pool of blood, the bedspread which had once been white was soaked in blood.

“Paige!” I screamed.
I rushed to her placing her in my arm.
She was cold
She was close to death
But her eyes were slightly open
“Nurse! Doctor!” I screamed, my eyes finally catching sight of the pocket knife she used to slit her wrist.

“Someone please help!” I screamed
Her eyelids were shaking
Her lips were pale
“Why?” Her trembling voice spoke.
“I continue to push you away yet you're still always here, why?...” Her eyes finally closed shut.

A/N: pls don't forget to click the cute star and leave your comments below❤