chapter twenty two

“So Brandon is really dying?” Ella seemed sadder at the realization, she held my hand tight

“So Brandon is really dying?” Ella seemed sadder at the realization, she held my hand tight. We were seated at the back sit of the car while mom rode us home.

I had been silent throughout the ride, and they both noticed it. “When ever you decide you want to talk to someone we're here for you” mom chipped in.

I gave a soft nod and a loud sigh. “Can you do me a favor mom?”

“Anything dear” she glanced at me and back to the road.

“I'll like to visit Toby” There was a brief moment of silence and a cloud of darkness in the atmosphere but mom quickly shoved it off, shoved off the demons the thought of Toby always brought.

“Alright dear” She said and took a detour, I had forgotten that the cemetery was a not far way from home, I should have pointed out the fact earlier but even I was unsure of what I had wanted.

The cemetery was a 10 minutes drive and the road was free of traffic jam, there were hardly even cars on the road just a few, reminded me of how it was always during the holidays when families had flown to different countries to spend the joyful season together.

During those periods we never left home, mom and dad weren't really fans of traveling, so I had to stay put. Most times I always got jealous when I heard the other kids' adventures, they never stopped blabing till after a week or more since their return.

Mom finally pulled to a stop, and I was immediately drawn back to earth. “Would you like us to come along?” She asked but I declined the offer, stepping out of the car and into the cemetery the more I was sure I wanted to be alone, I wanted to talk to someone — someone that couldn't judge me, I wanted to cry to someone — someone that wouldn't pity me.

For the first time all I really wanted to do was be with my brother! The memory loss had stolen all the memories, all the good times we shared together, it was like I didn't know him, but I was always told I had an older brother, one I had no memory of.

Now all the memories were streaming in, all the times he got his fist bleeding because he was saving me from bullies, all the times he carried me countlessly on his back never complaining once, if anyone was nice and jolly it was Toby, he was the best thing in my life and now he wasn't even here anymore. It doesn't matter who does best or the most evil death is death it will catch us one day, some faster than others.

There the gravestone stood, the cemetery was silent, I was in a place with so many sad souls, souls who didn't deserve to go — on a normal day I would be frightened, frightened to be standing here reading the words Toby Connor knight, May his gentle soul rest in peace, alone but today I wasn't, just standing there I could practically feel his presence, whether my mind was playing trick on me or not it felt comforting.

“Toby, I know I never often visited and I'm sorry. I wish I could take back so many countless mistakes I've made, I feel like Elena Gilbert, responsible for every death and misfortune of the surrounding people. I never wanted this guilt, this torments, this burden I have to carry for the rest of my life... I broke down in tears, kneeling down in front of his grave.