chapter fifteen

“Do you really think he'll say yes?” I asked Kelly like a frightened school girl; I had been shivering on my bed for hours now

“Absolutely” she assured me.

And then suddenly there was a soft knock at the front door, mom and dad weren't home — just us. Kelly volunteered to get the door and I continued my panic moments. A few minutes later she walked back into the room.

“Who was it?” I asked. We weren't expecting anyone.

“No one” she answered, “Just some lost guy, he landed in front of the wrong address” and as naïve as I was I believed her blindly never thinking otherwise.

It had been two days and Casper hadn't replied me, the dance was tonight and it was too late to look for a quick replacement. Kelly assured me we were in this together and consoled me all the way, Casper never ever tried to say anything to me and when I tried to him I always chickened out and I guess that's how everything faded away.

The night of the dance I was all dolled up and ready to go, Kelly was my date for the night she had turned down her date just for me, in all the sorrow in my life Kelly was the brightest light that kept me going but unfortunately she called in to say she couldn't make it.

“My aunt just passed away and I need to travel to be with my family for the weeekend, I'm so sorry Paige I'll make it up to you, I promise” and that was the beginning of the most terrible night of my life and a long series of lies that had remained unknown to me until now.

Kelly never lost an aunt, she lied and now I knew exactly why.

***
The dance was two years ago, after I had recovered from the embarrassment life went on and Kelly and I continued to be best of friends well at a point she did get distant but I didn't understand why I just assumed it was because she was dating Jeremy then.

Few months ago she said her aunt died, and she had to leave for a while, even after she got back during the weekend, a month later she said she had to leave again and I was so lonely and heartbroken but not as pained as I felt right now as I had been sobbing on my bed for hours, I didn't know what to feel, I didn't know how to react, I had a thousand of feelings rushing within me.

I was mad — mad at Kelly, she betrayed, my best friend betrayed me — was this how terrible it really felt? Was this how painful it was? To be hurt by someone you least expected, she meant the world to me how could one of the best things in my life be the vendetta to my existence.

I was angry — angry at Casper, he never once tried to approach me, he never tried to understand the situation, to hear my side of the story and now he was here playing victim and professing a selfless love to me how did he expect me to feel, I had been waiting for those words for years and now I don't think that's really what I want to hear anymore. I want to hear sorry — an apology, because I need that now more than anything, it's the only thing going to keep me from bursting into flames.