chapter seventeen

Accepting Kelly’s death was the hardest thing I’ve ever done, everyone was in tears even the people who didn’t even know her, I was the only one who hadn’t rolled down a tear — not because I didn’t want to, but because I couldn’t just accept it — ...

Accepting Kelly’s death was the hardest thing I’ve ever done, everyone was in tears even the people who didn’t even know her, I was the only one who hadn’t rolled down a tear — not because I didn’t want to, but because I couldn’t just accept it — everything seemed to have happened too fast, maybe if I had just forgiven her, maybe if I had just let her in, her wrist wouldn’t be slit open in a pool of blood.

I hated myself for letting resentment take the best of me and so did Casper, he placed up a picture of he and Kelly in the beach, they seemed so happy — happier than I’ll ever be with Casper. I should have just let them be, I should have just left bygones be bygones.

Kelly’s parents had immediately flown in from London, and they wanted me to give a speech on Kelly, I didn’t know what to say, I didn’t know how to react. I begged them to give someone else, but they declined, said Kelly would have wanted me to do it, I was never a fan of alcohol but there I was in a bar for the first time in my life drowning my sorrows on hard liquor.

Watching as the world spanned and passed me by, I hated it, hated the taste, hated the stinging feeling in throat as it rushed down but I couldn’t stop, couldn’t pull myself back, it was like the monster was taking over, was this how addiction felt? Was it how it started? I didn’t want to do something bad, I just wanted all the pains and frustrations to disappear even though it was only for a moment.

“Another shot” I ordered, I couldn’t see clearly but I could sense the sit beside me had been occupied.

“What’s wrong, a bad day?” he asked and I nodded, I tried to get a glimpse of him but the effect of the alcohol was already kicking in and his face was blurry but one thing I was sure of was that he smelled of alcohol.

“Yeah” I nodded and took another gulp.

“Nothing heals pain better than a good lit cigarette” he seemed to have a Spanish accent, from the way he pronounced cigarette it sounded like ci-gar-et-te, and then he puffed the smoke into my face leading me to a long choke but soon subsided and then I realized the alcohol wasn’t all I wanted, it was unable to feel me with the complete desire I wanted and then I asked the fellow. “Can I have a puff?” “Of course” he exclaimed and gave me his.

Puff… puff… puff, I smoked in the cigarette, allowing the black smoke to feel my lungs with every puff, the feel was almost sensationally nerve calming and from there I didn’t want to stop, from there I followed the unknown stranger out the bar and into the dangerous streets far from sane.
Soon we had gotten to the deadly part… drugs,

he rushed down marijuana down my lungs, my brains were twisting into different dimension and I didn’t know who I was again but sincerely for the first time I felt at peace, free from the worries, free from all the torments now I understood why people easily fell victims of these demons and soon all I could hear were the loud sounds of the police sirens, a loud run and chase and then a bright light flashed into my eyes and I blacked out.