01. Gone

Is that tension in the air?
Or, baby, is that just me?
Too strong,
I'm gone, yeah
Let me switch this
flow up real quick
-Gone
-Bazzi

•••••

Present day

"Your entire family died in a car crash am I not mistaken?"

I didn't think it was possible to get even stiffer in the leather chair I was sitting on, but as usual I was wrong.

What's new?

"Yes,"

"All of them died in the same car crash, on the same day at the exact same time?" Mrs Frey asked flipping through a file stamped with my initials.

"No, different days. My brothers died a month after my parents and sister."

"Where were you at the time of both car accidents?"

"I can't remember."

She looked at me skeptically, "Really? In this file it says you were in the car at the time of both car accidents. Is that not how you remember it?"

"Oh yeah, sorry I just have a hard time remembering things."

That's not a total lie.

"Riley, I need you to answer these questions truthfully."

"I am ma'am,"

Liar.

"Mhm, after a person has been in a traumatizing incident like the one you have been in, they are given a light dosage of medication just to make sure they'd stay focused and on the right path.

Especially if someone they loved was involved with the incident. Now, this is very strange that you weren't given any medication at all to help you with the shock or trauma. Is that true?"

What do you think Miss Smartypants?

"Yes, it's true I wasn't given any medication for my trauma."

At least not everything you say is a lie.

The school's psychologist, Mrs Frey, stopped paging through my file and instead looked up at me.

"The doctor didn't give you anything at the hospital for post trauma?"

Tried.

"Not that I can remember no."

Her eyes widened a fraction of a bit.

"Did you experience any nightmares, odd flashbacks, moments where you would randomly tense or anything similar?"

"No, none."