05. Crash and Burn

Live each day like it's your last
'Cause you never feel
the moment 'til it's passed
Time just keeps on ticking fast
Know, there's danger in the lesson learned
Slow down before you crash and burn
Better slow down before you crash and burn
-Crash and Burn
-G-Eazy
-Kehlani

•••••

"You can't assume I have secrets. I'm just an ordinary girl cruising through life."

"As if."

"What makes you think I'd hide something? You've only seen me for two days and you're already judging me."

"Two days is a lot of time to make a judgement on a person."

"You don't even know me!"

"I know enough about you to know that you're trouble."

"That's not fair. What do you know?"

"I know whatever you're hiding is something that would ruin your life once revealed."

"That's all you got?"

"I'm not sure if people would get hurt, but I'm sure you do."

I turned away from Ryder.

"You can't judge me without knowing me. You can't try to pry into my life either, you'll find nothing interesting."

"Riley, I know that no one runs in the middle of a school parking lot just because they saw some guy. I also know that they don't just bump into random people hyperventilating and running."

I kept my mouth shut trying to think of a lie to say.

"I couldn't find the bathroom," I mumbled.

Ryder rolled up his sleeves exposing his forearms and momentarily distracting me by the veins that protruded from his tan skin.

Focus you hormonal freak!

Ryder turned his head so that he was facing me and narrowed his eyes at me.

"Why would you start hyperventilating?"

"Would you want to urinate on the floor in school?"

"No, but I wouldn't start hyperventilating either."

"We all have different ways of dealing with our problems," I said defensively.

Ryder turned away from me and stared at the board but something told me he wasn't really paying attention.

Is it really that obvious that I'm running from someone? Or hiding something?

Well it must be if a guy who only knows me for two days knows I have secrets.

Then again Ryder is very observant so he probably knows a lot of things.