21. Do It All For You

I'll take it up an elevation
I'll stand on the highest peak
You'll never doubt my dedication
I'm here till eternity
-Do it all for you
-Alan Walker
-Trevor Guthrie

•••••

"I don't think I've ever been this positively sure I failed," Violet sighed, dropping down in the empty seat next to me in the cafeteria.

Today is Thursday, it has been three days since I've stopped sitting with Brandon and resumed sitting with my real friends.

There has been no sign of Brandon ever since Monday and by Wednesday, it seemed like the school forgot about his existence. Trevor, Archer, Kodak, Caleb and Zach seemed to have disappeared off the face of the earth as well. Everyone seemed to be at ease with Brandon's absence, except for Ryder and I.

The unnerving feeling I was being watched hadn't crept up on me...yet. It should have been there since Brandon wasn't around to watch me, he should have put spies out to continue tracking me. It felt like Brandon never even existed in the first place, like he was just some kind of nightmare that I had woken up from.

If only it were that simple.

"Failed what?" I asked curiously, watching Violet pick at her hotdog with a frown on her face.

Cameron and Ryder took their seats just as Violet opened her mouth to speak.

"That math test! It completely slipped my mind, with everything going on I forgot to prepare for it," Violet groaned, resting her head on Cameron's shoulder.

Realisation dawned on me as I took in Violet's miserable expression.

The math test!

"The math test! I forgot all about it," I said, slightly hyperventilating.

Dylan would kill me if I brought back a single bad mark. We both agreed I would bring home marks above sixty percent, but with my math test I was expected to write in the last period, I would be lucky if I even scored a ten percent!

I couldn't even rely on my basic general knowledge because I was so busy focusing on Brandon and Ryder for the past two weeks, I wasn't even concentrating in class.

Well isn't this just great?

Kyle gave me a sympathetic look, "Well, I studied for the test and it came off as pretty tricky for me Riles. So I don't think I can help that much."

I groaned and sifted through the contents of my backpack, trying to find my math books. I turned to the section we were going to be tested on and stared at the x's and y's which swam in front of my eyes.

Oh lovely algebra...sarcasm. I was being sarcastic.

Throughout the whole lunch lesson, I tried to block out the conversation going on around me and forced myself to take in as much as I could. Violet helped me study when it came to which questions counted the most marks.