12. I Like Me Better

Damn, I like me better when I'm with you
I like me better when I'm with you
I knew from the first time
I'd stay for a long time 'cause
I like me better when
I like me better when I'm with you
-I like me better
-Lauv

•••••

I warily stepped back to let Ryder into my apartment.

He gave me a grateful smile and came stepped past my door.

"Take a seat," I said, gesturing to my couch feeling like this was going to be a long conversation.

Ryder did as he was told and placed his suitcases beside him as he made himself comfortable on my couch.

"If there's a dead body in any one of those suitcases, I suggest you leave," I said, suspiciously looking at the two overflowing bags by his feet.

He let out a nervous laugh.

"It wouldn't surprise you would it?" Ryder asked.

I sat down on the white leather arm chair opposite Ryder and stared at him expectantly.

"Alright Ryder, let's get to the point. What's going on?" I asked.

Ryder let out a deep breath he had inhaled and ran his hands through his messy brown hair.

"I need you're help Carter."

That's it?

I raised my eyebrows at him.

"If you're looking for advice, I'm not the best person to ask," I said tiredly.

He took a deep breath and began.

"I need a place to stay," Ryder said softly, finding something very interesting on my white carpet which seemed to have his attention.

My eyes widened and I began to think of places which were available. I didn't realize how long I was silent for, until Ryder opened his mouth to say something else.

"Never mind, this was a bad idea. I'll leave," he mumbled, already standing up.

"Wait," I said stopping Ryder in his tracks.

Ryder stared at me with a shocked look on his face, not expecting me to stop him.

He slowly lowered himself back down onto my couch as if it would bite him.

"No offence Ryder," I said still slightly shocked Ryder had come to me, "but we're not really the best of friends. Why would you ask me?"

"To be honest, you're the only person that I thought wouldn't be an issue to ask," he said honestly.

I raised an eyebrow, asking him to elaborate.

"Kyle?" I asked, sure that Ryder's best friend would have room for him.

"Noah is already living with him. I didn't want to make an issue with Kyle's parents, not that they'd mind. Kyle was my plan B if you said no," he whispered the last part.