07. Breathin

Feel my blood runnin', swear the sky's fallin'
I know that all this shit's fabricated
Time goes by and I can't control my mind
Don't know what else to try,
but you tell me every time
Just keep breathin' and breathin'
and breathin' and breathin'
And oh, I gotta keep, keep on breathin'
-Breathin
-Ariana Grande

•••••

"Are you sure you like us?" Violet asked while leaning against the locker next to me.

I stopped searching for my English folder once those words left her mouth. I turned to face her with a concerned expression on my face, wondering what I had said or done to make her think that.

"What do you mean Violet? Of course I like you guys!"

She gave me a sad smile.

"It doesn't seem like it. You never talk to me and you never came with Ryder for ice cream with us. Do you feel like you're being forced to hang out with us?" she asked slightly pouting her lip.

"What are you saying? We just got in trouble in biology for our constant talking! Vi you're the first person I've warmed up too this quickly! You and the rest," I said giving her a tight hug.

Well maybe not Ryder...

"You sure you like us?" Violet asked.

I grinned and nodded.

Violet grinned back but there was something about her smile, like the conversation wasn't over.

Weird.

We hooked arms and walked into the cafeteria taking the open seats next to Kyle and Cameron. Violet whispered something to Cameron and he glanced at me and gave me an apologetic smile before whispering something into Noah's ear who then grinned at me with an evil glint in his eyes.

The only person who didn't seem to be affected by everyone's strange behaviour was Ryder which would either mean he's in on it too, or he just doesn't care.

I stared at everyone's faces trying to determine from their expressions whether I should start running or stay in my seat and see how this plays out.

Just as I moved my chair back and opened my mouth to make up a lame excuse at to why I have to leave, I was interrupted by Noah.

"Hey, did you guys here about the awesome party Scott's throwing because his cousin's back in town?" Noah asked with a bit too much enthusiasm.

Oh no

"Yeah, I heard about it too. Apparently his cousin is enrolling into this school next week and they're super tight. I can't remember his name but I'm one hundred percent sure he's a senior," Kyle piped up.

Please don't...

"So when is this party Noah?" Violet asked glancing at me out of the corner of her eye and tapped her fingers twice on the cafeteria table.